My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

4000T WiFi + WEP

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

steve@e2-e4

I recently purchased a 4000 all seems to work except for wireless networking. My router is set to use WEP 64bit Hex. I've connected to other devices, laptop and Linsar TV without a hitch. But the Humax refuses to join and I just get "network connection failed".
    If I turn off the security completely then it connects by selecting 'none' on the Hunax.
    If I disable the WEP security it connects. I'm not sure exactly what this does, but I'm selecting WEP 64b Hex on the Humax and leaving the password blank.

I've asked the Humax support but so far no response. Anyone else got this do work.

Thanks
    Steve

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 22:42:44 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I didn't even realise anyone still used WEP as it's such a security risk. Perhaps that's the reason - WPA2 is the normal standard these days.

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 23:14:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Faust - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I didn't even realise anyone still used WEP as it's such a security risk. Perhaps that's the reason - WPA2 is the normal standard these days.

I agree that WEP is extremely unusual these days and I would recommend changing to WPA. However, if the Humax allows you to select WEP then why would it block you from connecting with it?

Very strange!

Is there a reason you can't adopt one of the WPA variations?

Richard

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 23:22:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

steve@e2-e4

I rarely use wireless tried WPA some time ago and it failed to work. Don't really think my neighbours are into cracking & hacking.
    I thought that it would be easy to stick with what I know works, but obviously not.
    Now tried WPA and now have a connection.
    Suspect there's a bug with WEP.

Thanks
    Steve

| Fri 29 Jan 2016 16:38:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

WEP is about as one tenth as secure as putting gold bars in a wet paper bag with a large label "GOLD BARS HERE". Anyone can download a bit of software which will crack any WEP password after a few minutes of intercepted traffic.

Don't even think of using it!

It stands for Wired Equivalent Privacy and is designed to be as (in)secure as running a coax Ethernet cable, and allowing anyone to have complete access to the cable!

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 15:47:37 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.