My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

4OD not working in Republic of Ireland.

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

deej78

I was wondering if anyone knows the reason 4OD in Ireland is blocked? 4OD is available in Ireland on all the other platforms.

Also, 4OD is blocked even when using Unotelly or Unblock US also.

Just wondering what the reason for this is? Is it because Freesat is a UK service and they feel a bit bitter that the Irish can use Freesat.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 11:27:09 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

deej78

And can we have a delete post on the forum please.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 11:28:36 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

deej78 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I was wondering if anyone knows the reason 4OD in Ireland is blocked? 4OD is available in Ireland on all the other platforms.
    Also, 4OD is blocked even when using Unotelly or Unblock US also.
    Just wondering what the reason for this is? Is it because Freesat is a UK service and they feel a bit bitter that the Irish can use Freesat.

It may well be for the same reason that Freesat block ITV Player for Scottish postcodes. A dispute over broadcasting rights.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 11:34:12 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

deej78

Right. So it is actually blocking using Global IP location rather than the Postcode entered?

The only thing I cant get my head around is it is still blocking even when I connect to my Brothers Proxy in Halifax in the UK.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 11:37:02 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

deej78 - 1 minute ago  » 
    Right. So it is actually blocking using Global IP location rather than the Postcode entered?
    The only thing I cant get my head around is it is still blocking even when I connect to my Brothers Proxy in Halifax in the UK.

Change your postcode during a freesat tune to an English one. Does 4-OD now work ? I guess it won't. Now try via the proxy server.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 11:39:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

deej78

Oh yeah. I have it in as a HX1 postcode already.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 11:49:47 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

deej78 - 48 minutes ago  » 

I don't know for certain what is happening here, but I can tell you from experience that where a provider blocks a service then very often neither of a proxy or a VPN will overcome the block.
    Two examples of this are BBC iPlayer and the UK Lottery site, both of which have proved impossible, for me and many others, to access via these methods used from abroad.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 12:29:47 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 3 hours ago  » 

deej78 - 48 minutes ago  » 

I don't know for certain what is happening here, but I can tell you from experience that where a provider blocks a service then very often neither of a proxy or a VPN will overcome the block.
    Two examples of this are BBC iPlayer and the UK Lottery site, both of which have proved impossible, for me and many others, to access via these methods used from abroad.

A UK VPN gets me to the Iplayer without problems. You should not get problems with a UK VPN but proxy use can be detected I believe. The setup from the HDR-1000S is however a little complex but can be achieved but is best not discussed in open forum.

The is only way to get all without any problems or complications at all, except it costs a bit is ADSL by Satellite it comes with a UK IP address.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 16:03:01 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

"but proxy use can be detected I believe"

For sure because I've tried it many times from Spain. In fact I had a conversation with a very smart IT engineer who said "they have done something very clever which I can't figure out". I believe him.

| Mon 1 Jul 2013 16:45:13 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.