My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

0181dog

Hi. I have the 5000t model and really chuffed with it. However when I go into the list of recordings the system defaults the the cursor being in the second recording. On occasions this ya resulted in me skipping an episode or deleting an unwatched recording. Any thoughts?

| Fri 25 Jan 2019 7:31:54 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

0181dog - 4 hours ago  » 
    However when I go into the list of recordings the system defaults the the cursor being in the second recording. On occasions this ya resulted in me skipping an episode or deleting an unwatched recording. Any thoughts?

This is to my mind one of a number of examples of the user interface being poorly designed. I don't know of a work around but with time you learn to be more careful about selecting the correct episode.

| Fri 25 Jan 2019 11:57:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

0181dog

Thanks. Thought I may be a bit optimistic that there was a quick fix ????

| Fri 25 Jan 2019 14:05:58 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

My neighbour has one of these PVRs and let me have a play around with it the other day. As an owner of three different Humax PVRs myself I am somewhat dissappointed with the 4000/5000 series.

As Martin comments the UI is something of a dogs breakfast. I don't know what's gone wrong at Humax over the last few years but each new iteration they release appears to be more flakey than the one that preceded it.

| Fri 25 Jan 2019 15:40:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

0181dog - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thought I may be a bit optimistic that there was a quick fix ????

If there is a quick fix I would love to know what it is.

| Fri 25 Jan 2019 16:18:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

In Humax adopting the business model of we make the h/w the broadcaster provides the s/w they have screwed up.
    (1) They completely missed the industry trend...anyone can manufacture h/w it's what's on-board delivering the service that matters to the end-user. This has been evident in PCs for some 15 years.
    (2) They lost the Freesat G3 contract to Arris. Big slice of revenue down the toilet.
    (3) The 4000/5000 exactly follows the path of the 1000S. OK h/w, nothing special, s/w belongs to the broadcaster consortium but problems get blamed on the "Humax" product. I'm certain that Freeview are looking at what Freesat are doing with some interest in the future.
    The quick fix might be Humax go out of business.

| Fri 25 Jan 2019 17:25:03 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

The only suggestion I have to help is to use the 'up channel' button as that takes you faster up the list of episodes, rather than going up one at a time.
    Most people find it odd it automatically takes you to the newest episode rather than the oldest as surely nearly all the time you'll want the oldest.
    Give it some time and you'll get used to it, that's what I've found anyway

| Fri 25 Jan 2019 19:20:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

kenjohn

Yes it is a pain.Get the day of your recording right with the navigation keys,it gets high lighted in blue and press OK,that puts your recording in the right place to play.

When deleting a recording if you select the wrong recording to delete go back a page by pressing the back key(its the one on the bottom right hand side of the navigation keys).

It pays not to be in a hurry and let the box work at its own pace.It usually gets you there.

I have had mine for 4 months now I think it is a good bit of kit.My previous FoxT2 was easier to use from the box but this 5000 is OK for me.I like a challenge

| Sat 26 Jan 2019 17:22:12 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

kenjohn - 6 hours ago  » 
    My previous FoxT2 was easier to use from the box but this 5000 is OK for me.I like a challenge

Should using a modern PVR be a challenge?

| Sun 27 Jan 2019 0:15:43 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 4 minutes ago  » 

kenjohn - 6 hours ago  » 
    My previous FoxT2 was easier to use from the box but this 5000 is OK for me.I like a challenge

Should using a modern PVR be a challenge?

Depends on your point of view and which transmitter you can use use, . The newer box has 2 tuners the older one has just two. Both boxes have the the capability to use a single tuner to record two from same multiplex.

For me with no COM7/8 a 4000/5000T is by far the most versatile recording wise. Ability to record 4 out of the 5 channels on the PSB3 mux and even record the other one using the HD Mux time shift buffer.

It woukd need two HDR-FOx-t2's to match this. However if both hade the Custom firmware on both and you wished to view the recordings elsewhere, a single HDR-FpX-T2, and two is more flexible (even without the custom firmware) is superior.

A pair of HDR-FOX-T2's (on the same network) without any software updates other than the Humax ones are able to view all recordings on either box (HD or SD)

Basically two working HDR-FOX-T2 boxes which are likely to be much cheaper than a FVP box will be more capable and responsive than a single G2 box. Adding the Custom Firmware available extends the capability.

Recording just two on any Humax PVR is not a challenge on any HUmax PVR (other than possibly the You-View boxes that as i understand it do not offer 3rd channel viewing while recording two.
    Due to the differences between the way sateiite and terrestrial digital channels are delivered, there are differences between the two that change the possibilities.

Using a Sky-HD box for instance you can record two and have no capability to watch any other live channel. A 2018 Foxsat-HDR changeg all that.

| Sun 27 Jan 2019 1:03:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.