My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I don't think anyone is doubting the ablilty to record programmes with its '3' tuners Graham. I think the criticsim stems from the poor/overly complicated UI including the remote control.

Most average users want a simple 'point and shoot' product.

| Sun 27 Jan 2019 16:27:58 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

kenjohn

I could not agree more Mr Faust.

I have had to rig up a small mirror to act as a periscope to see what the indicator lights are showing.I have not had the good fortune to have my 5000 box mounted on a glass shelf to allow the lights to shine through.I wondered why the lights shine downwards and not forwards?Too dazzling ??

My periscope saves me switching on and off and on again before the box springs into life.
    That is my remedy to a problem I have had.
    That is what I mean by a challenge,find your own way to work round a problem.and make it more usable.
    That said I still consider the 5000t a good buy though

| Sun 27 Jan 2019 19:52:50 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Hi Kenjohn, there is another way around the Light situation.
    I have a small piece of card placed under the lights that protrudes out slightly.
    That way the which ever colour is showing will reflect on the card.
    It is a tried and tested answer to not seeing the box status lights.
    Good Luck.

| Sun 27 Jan 2019 20:35:16 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 
    I don't think anyone is doubting the ablilty to record programmes with its '3' tuners Graham. I think the criticsim stems from the poor/overly complicated UI including the remote control.
    Most average users want a simple 'point and shoot' product.

I can't say Find Ui any more complex than any other Humax box I have have ever owned,

The response to the supplied remote is however so slow even from 2M away the natural responce is to repeat the connmand in case the command is missed . For commands that are designed to toggle rather than discrete ones that can clearly confuse owners.

The poor downward facing LED just adds to the confusion. I have triangular shaped aluminium foil placed to reflect the led forwards. It's a crap design decision and clearly not tested in the sort of conditions that most of use.

However despite the more responsive UI on my HDR-1000S and the clear front display, I find most recordings are now made using my FVP-5000T. You do need to have some patience to wait for the box to respond to a remote command.

Example my 5000T is recording 4 HD programmes this evening using just the one box.

ITV-HD and BBC1-HD. Not possible with a single HDR-1000S

| Sun 27 Jan 2019 23:05:31 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

To be fair though Graham you are not an 'average user'. You are pretty clued up with most things techie, so definitely not average.

I'm not sure why you now record more programmes via the 5000T then the 1000s. Speaking for myself I tend to split my recordings as follows - anything HD I record on the 1000s and anything SD on our Youview box. The reason for doing so is because the 1000s has a 1TB HDD whereas the Youview box is only 500 gig.

However, if you do just want a 'point & shoot' PVR then I still maintain the Youview box takes some beating. I'm quite sure I could trust the dog to set a series link or scroll back in the EPG with Youview.

| Sun 27 Jan 2019 23:28:35 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

kenjohn

I did think of using alumium foil to reflect the on/recording/playing lights,but thought blocking off the base air cooling to be a bad idea,my 5000t does get a might warm/hot as others have posted here in the past.That is why a very small mirror set up high on the rear side on the next shelf down is what I use.I have found its only draw back is the person with a duster moving it!!

Another suggestion I would like to make to all readers is to mute your T.V. sound when starting up your 5000t so you can hear it start up from stand by as it is not immeadiate and can save multiple presses of button,on/off and back on again.Any comments?

| Mon 28 Jan 2019 9:26:52 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.