My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T Issue

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clive12

Hi
    Can anyone out there help, I’ve got a Humax FVP-5000T and I’m having issues with it.
    The set up I have is an ordinary roof aerial which is connected to the Humax and the Humax to the tv via a HDMI cable.

I keep getting a message saying no signal, if pull the arial cable out of the Humax and connect it directly into the tv, bingo I have a picture and sound so it’s not the coaxial cable.

I’ve changed the HDMI cable for another one which is known to working but still have the same problem ie. the message no signal displayed.
    In fact, I would like to get rid of the Humax and buy a different Freeview / Recorder.

On the assumption the issue with the Humax is just the fact it won’t pick up live tv broadcasts, is there any way I can copy the existing recordings from its hard drive to a new Freeview / Recorder via a PC if necessary and what would be involved??

My PC has USB and HDMI connections so no problem as far as cabling is concerned.
    Do I need any form of software downloaded onto the PC in order to perform the task??

My thanks to anyone who can help

| Tue 28 May 2024 13:59:47 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Clive12,

Is this a brand new FVP-5000T (i.e. straight out of the box - unused)? If it is used, trying doing a full retune. Might have previous channels still showing from another region? Might sound silly question, but it happens. If new, it could indeed be a faulty tuner, but maybe problem with aerial lead connection to Humax. Might be worth swapping aerial lead if able to.

With regards recordings, no you can't transfer them to another machine unfortunately. I don't use this pvr, someone else might be able to assist further. Be interested to know how you get on. John L

| Tue 28 May 2024 15:16:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Clive12 - 5 hours ago  » 
    On the assumption the issue with the Humax is just the fact it won’t pick up live tv broadcasts, is there any way I can copy the existing recordings from its hard drive to a new Freeview / Recorder via a PC if necessary and what would be involved??

It depends whether the recordings are HD or SD. Both are encrypted when stored on the hard drive but the SD recordings can be downloaded in various ways that will remove the encryption. What operating system is your PC using?

| Tue 28 May 2024 19:37:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clive12

Hi jdfreetime

Thank you for your reply.

No, its’s not brand new although I did buy it brand new, also I’ve done a retune just a couple of days ago and it was working ok.

I don’t think it’s a problem with the aerial cable as already said, I’ve taken the cable out of the Humax and connected it directly into the TV and it worked receiving both sound and picture and able to cycle through the TV channels using the TV remote.

| Tue 28 May 2024 19:55:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clive12

Hi Martin

Many thanks for your reply.

All the recordings are in SD format, my wife can record more programs that way :lol:.
    My PC is using Windows 11 Pro, 64 bit.

| Tue 28 May 2024 19:57:38 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I wonder what sort of signal level is indicated. And are you seeing a quality figure of 100%? I believe it is reported that a problem like this can sometimes be caused by excess signal as well as insufficient. Excess signal is maybe above about 85%.

| Tue 28 May 2024 21:37:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clive12

Hi A1944

I’ve no idea what sort of signal strength it’s receiving, I’ve had the Humax for a few years now and it's always been ok, so can’t imagine its all of a sudden become a signal issue.

I’m in Staffordshire so not in the heart of the Welsh or Scottish mountains where I could understand there perhaps being signal issues.

It may well be its just wearing out that’s why if I have got half a chance, I’d like to get the recordings transferred onto a new Freeview/PVR box, as already said via a computer if necessary.
    I'm not into all this high tec stuff, but with all the interconnectivity these days there must be some way of doing it.

| Tue 28 May 2024 22:42:00 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Clive12 - 10 hours ago  » 
    I’ve had the Humax for a few years now and it's always been ok, so can’t imagine its all of a sudden become a signal issue.

Clive12 - 13 hours ago  » 
    I’ve done a retune just a couple of days ago and it was working ok.

A possible cause of a signal would be your retune not tuning into the best transmitter, but tuning into a weaker, (or far stronger), one instead.

Clive12 - 10 hours ago  » 
    I’ve no idea what sort of signal strength it’s receiving

To get an idea of the signal strength (and quality) your recorder has an inbuilt signal strength and quality meter. You will be able to see this via its menus. (Settings >> Channel Settings >> Signal Test)

Clive12 - 19 hours ago  » 
    I keep getting a message saying no signal

When that happens if you press the GUIDE button on your recorder's remote is the programme guide displayed?

| Wed 29 May 2024 9:16:40 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

I often go to the Freeview website, find out what the UHF channels I need, then do a manual retune.For instance, mine are 21,24,27,30,40,43 & 46.
    Before the Bilsdale Ariel burnt down, an automatic retune missed some channels. The new one is perfect!

| Wed 5 Jun 2024 18:44:30 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, you can move your SD recordings onto a portable hard drive via the usb port. A drive such as a Western Digital My Passport would do, other manufacturer's products are available! Be aware that it's a slow process; the process is in the manual but I would try it with an unimportant recording first.

The smaller portable drives seem to be readily available on ebay at low prices, you need to be about the same size as the drive in your Humax or a bit smaller; judge it by the percentage of drive space left and go a bit bigger.

| Thu 6 Jun 2024 10:56:53 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.