My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T Random power on & unable to factory default

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjazz

Just purchased a refurbished Humax Freeview Play Recorder FVP-5000T 500GB and I am regretting the purchase. First problem is that the unit keeps powering itself on for no reason, no scheduled recordings etc. The receiver is in standby mode (red light on) and turns itself on for no reason (blue light on) and then stays in the power on mode. This does seem a common problem with these receivers going by other forum threads, is there a fix?

The second problem is I tried to use the "Factory Default" to fix this problem and selected the reset all settings & format HDD, this failed with the following error: The storage is not formatted yet. Please try again. Why is this happening?

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 15:01:21 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

cjazz - 1 hour ago  » 
    First problem is that the unit keeps powering itself on for no reason, no scheduled recordings etc. The receiver is in standby mode (red light on) and turns itself on for no reason (blue light on) and then stays in the power on mode. This does seem a common problem with these receivers going by other forum threads, is there a fix?

I am not convinced it is a very common problem; I don't recollect having seen it happen on my FVP-5000T.

The second problem is I tried to use the "Factory Default" to fix this problem and selected the reset all settings & format HDD, this failed with the following error: The storage is not formatted yet. Please try again.

That sounds like a problem with the hard drive. I would contact the supplier with a view to getting a replacement sent out.

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 16:06:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjazz

Thank you for your reply.

Here is one of the old posts of the problem that I am experiencing
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/5000t-switching-on-apparently-at-random

I do suspect that there is a problem with the hard drive especially with a refurbished unit where the hard drive was probably re-certified. I have only had the receiver for a few days so hopefully there will be no problem returning the unit.

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 16:22:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

cjazz - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thank you for your reply.
    Here is one of the old posts of the problem that I am experiencing
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/5000t-switching-on-apparently-at-random

There are seven separate reports in that thread which isn't a lot and several suggested different causes. In my book it is a known issue but not a "very common problem" as you stated.

I do suspect that there is a problem with the hard drive especially with a refurbished unit where the hard drive was probably re-certified.

I have never seen any evidence that the drives are recertified; I suspect they will be given a quick test but it isn't unknown for refurbished boxes to be shipped with drives that are not in a satisfactory state.

I have only had the receiver for a few days so hopefully there will be no problem returning the unit.

I would expect that as you say there will be no problem in arranging a replacement box and hopefully the next one will be problem free.

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 20:04:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjazz

I contacted Humax today, and they have arranged a return and refund due to a suspected faulty hard drive. Decided to order a different make freeview receiver instead.

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 22:20:44 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cjazz - 1 min ago  » 
    I contacted Humax today, and they have arranged a return and refund due to a suspected faulty hard drive. Decided to order a different make freeview receiver instead.

Which one ?

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 22:22:13 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjazz

Manhattan T3-R

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 22:27:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

cjazz - 3 mins ago  » 
    Manhattan T3-R

Interested to hear how you get on with the T3-R.

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 22:31:44 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjazz

I will give you an update next week. The only disadvantage I can see compared to the Humax is the lack of three tuners, which in my case is not a major disadvantage.

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 22:37:21 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjazz

Just an update. I am more than delighted with the Manhattan T3-R compared to the FVP-5000T. The design and build quality is far superior, faster loading and navigation, remote control is of a much better design and no niggly problems like the Humax.

| Thu 4 Feb 2021 21:02:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.