My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

5000T recording problems

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Peteh

I have two 5000T boxes that use the same aerial. Both boxes frequently refuse to accept new recording instructions although other functions live tv, playback, recording existing schedules continue. The only way to make a new recording is to pull out the power lead at the back of the machine and reboot. The box then functions correctly for a while including accepting new instructions.
    I am within sight of Crystal Palace transmitters. I have replaced my loft aerial and have experimented with variable attenuaters which has improved the time that the box functions correctly. One of the recorders is three months old the other is about two and a half years old.
    I have tried all the advice offered by humax but the problem persists.

Any advice would be most welcome.

| Fri 27 Nov 2020 20:36:28 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Peteh - 3 hours ago  » 
    Both boxes frequently refuse to accept new recording instructions although other functions live tv, playback, recording existing schedules continue.

Please could you explain exactly what happens or doesn't when you have a failed attempt to set a recording?

I am within sight of Crystal Palace transmitters. I have replaced my loft aerial and have experimented with variable attenuaters which has improved the time that the box functions correctly.

What is the current signal strength and quality reported by the Humax?

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 0:04:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Peteh

When the boxes are non responsive I can access the epg and highlight the programme I wish to record but when I press the ok button there is no response. The box also refuses to respond to the red record now button. All other functions continue as normal. The blue led shows even when the box is on standby and the disc can be felt and heard spinning. Signal strength is about 90% on BBC 1 80% Channel 5 without using the attenuation and I have reduced the strength to about 65% which maintains 100% quality and reduces the frequency of the problem occuring.

Thank you for your interest. Any ideas?

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 9:50:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Peteh - 4 hours ago  » 
    When the boxes are non responsive I can access the epg and highlight the programme I wish to record but when I press the ok button there is no response.

Thanks, I very occasionally see a slightly different problem when setting a recording where it will simply display the rotating disk icon signifying it is processing the request but never does. Your problem sounds different.

The box also refuses to respond to the red record now button. All other functions continue as normal. The blue led shows even when the box is on standby and the disc can be felt and heard spinning.

I assume Humax have suggested a reset to default settings? I don't suppose you have auto on or off timers set do you? These are known to cause similar problems on earlier Humax models. Another possibility for the box not going fully to sleep could be corrupt recordings.

Signal strength is about 90% on BBC 1 80% Channel 5 without using the attenuation and I have reduced the strength to about 65% which maintains 100% quality and reduces the frequency of the problem occuring.

Exactly what I would have done.

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 14:27:46 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

It's surprising how much the signal can be attenuated before any drop in performance.
    I am currently running at 70/100 but can manually adjust down to 50% quality (35% strength if I recall) and still have a perfect picture with no dropouts.

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 14:38:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    It's surprising how much the signal can be attenuated before any drop in performance.
    I am currently running at 70/100 but can manually adjust down to 50% quality (35% strength if I recall) and still have a perfect picture with no dropouts.

I agree, although I do wonder if it may depend on how clear the path is between you and the transmitter. Before DSO I operated for several years with a signal strength of about 30% but 100% quality because I have line of sight to a low power transmitter.

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 15:56:12 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.