My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T Signal Quality

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

flang

I switched from a broken 4000T to the 5000T a few weeks back.
    I was immediately suffering from poor signals on several channels, especially HD ones. Picture stutter, channel not available or encrypted. Recordings on a stuttery channel don't show the symptoms. The severity can vary from time to time.
    Last night the stutter was on most channels I checked across different MUX's, a handful such as Made In Birmingham seemed OK.

Humax suppport advised a manual retune which made no difference.
    When checking the signal quality I see 100% for the signal and quality on Tuner 1 but Tuner 2,3 always show zero - is that a normal state of affairs?

Nothing obviously changed in terms of the aerial/cable and since the aerial is chimney mounted, I can't fiddle with that myself. Is it worth getting a basic signal meter from Argos etc ? or are they fairly useless for diagnostics?

Or does it point to a defective box?

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 9:26:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It may be too high a signal level. Try a cheap variable TV signal attenuator.

Re the tuners,

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/only-one-tuner-indicating-strengthquality-reading

Welcome to our forum.

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 10:02:02 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

These same problems cropping up repeatedly definitely points to the tuner or at least it being more at risk from interference.

I had to change hdmi cables when I got the box, re did all the fly lead connections. Something that the previous PVR and the TV weren’t as fussy on. I dare say many installations are not ‘perfect world’.

It’s also true that the stutter doesn’t happen on recordings, I’ve only seen it live.

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 12:11:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

flang

Thanks for the welcome & quick replies.

I checked the tuners on channels 1,3,11 as suggested - all 100% but interestingly, Made In Birmingham is only 74% which maybe bears out the over-sensitive tuners being the issue.
    Will investigate the attenuation or put something inline when I can.

However, Sunday pm, no obvious stutters, HD working...

Thanks
    nik

| Sun 10 Jun 2018 14:41:33 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

flang

Sorry it's been a while but to complete the story, I found some old short TV aerial leads and connectors. Ended up with 2 connectors and 4 cables which reduced the Made in Brum signal to about 67-69% (quality still 100%) and brought the BBC ones down to 96-97%.
    No break up or stutter so far that I've noticed.

(Note I was wrong about recordings being OK - some did show breakup at times prior to the 'fix').

Makes me wonder how many Joe Public users call in the aerial guy and pay out for similar situations. Humax could surely detect a high signal and either have a step down setting or at least warn an external attenuator might be needed?

Anyway thanks for the tips and hope this may help others.

Cheers
    Nik

| Mon 18 Jun 2018 21:26:12 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.