My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

9300 skipping - transfer recordings?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

Hi.

For months now I've had the skipping problem that I've now read is common and that might be fixed by doing a disk reformat. Before I do that, is there any way I can transfer my recordings off, then put them back after the reformat?

Thanks.

| Sun 16 Mar 2014 23:22:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnB47 - 47 minutes ago  » 
    For months now I've had the skipping problem that I've now read is common and that might be fixed by doing a disk reformat. Before I do that, is there any way I can transfer my recordings off, then put them back after the reformat?

There are two skipping problems; one that might be helped by a format and the other that will not be. Perhaps you could describe your symptoms? The only theoretical way to copy the recordings off and replace them is with humaxrw. Unfortunately it has been reported there is a bug in humaxrw in the code for replacing the recordings on a 9300 (it works fine on a 9200). If you are desperate to do this and prepared to assist the author of humaxrw then there is a slim possibility that the bug could be fixed.

| Mon 17 Mar 2014 0:15:23 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

Thanks for replying Martin. Actually I've had a reply from Humax, just today. See below - first is a copy of the EMail I sent to them and second, a copy of their reply.

"I wonder if you can give me some help in determining if I have a PVR problem or an aerial problem.

Just under five years ago I purchased a Humax PVR-9300T from John Lewis. This appeared to work OK initially but then reception deteriorated. It was after a period of heavy rainfall and we decided that the aerial had probably gone faulty. We had a new one fitted a year ago.

Despite this we get problems where the recording we are playing back suddenly jumps forward - often with a skipping motion. Eventually it settles again but a few minutes forward from the point it started skipping. Often, when it settles, the picture and sound are out of sync and I only get it back in sync by selecting Pause and waiting for a few seconds. If I'm careful I can rewind to a point just after the point where the skipping starts and it will play OK from there.

This is not on all recordings. Some programes we can watch without any problems and on other occasions, just one program will exhibit many of these glitches. The glitches occur on recordings made from different Freeview channels.

My problem is that I can't tell if this is an aerial or a PVR problem.

Is there any advice you can give me?

Basically, three questions.

1. Can you tell me, based on the above information, whether the problem is with the aerial or the PVR?

2. If it's the PVR, is there anything I can do about it, apart from replacing it?

3. Would a momentary interruption of the reception (experienced as a momentary freeze) cause the 'skipping forward' problem we're experiencing when playing back a recording? (We get freezes occasionally, but not nearly as often as the skipping. We might see a freeze every other week, compared to around 8 skips during a recorded film).

Thank you for any help you can give."

Here is the reply from Humax:

"Thank you for contacting Humax Support.

If the problem is only on recordings it may be an issue with hard drive meaning it needs formatted. Unfortunately this will clear all your recordings.

Press Menu
    Scroll to Record and press OK
    Scroll to HDD Control and press OK
    The only option highlighted will be Format
    Press OK on this
    It will ask you are you sure, highlight YES and press OK
    Then enter your password, default is 0000
    The box will then restart and format the Hard Drive at the same time."

Do you think a reformat would help?

BTW, the signal info on the Humax is 80% Strength and 100% Quality, on all channels.

Thanks again.

| Tue 18 Mar 2014 18:45:53 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

I don't own a 9300T so am not best placed to comment. Based on what I have heard, your problem sounds like the one where certain series of programs cause erratic playback behaviour (presumably because of the way they are encoded) on the 9300 and 9150 only. Humax have sort of acknowledged this problem in the past but no fix has been forthcoming. Maybe someone who actually owns a 9300 or 9150 can comment. If it is this problem then a format will not help and the only real fix is to get another PVR.

| Tue 18 Mar 2014 19:27:14 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

The two programs that we've watched recently that have been ridden with skips were both films.

I'll probably go ahead and do a format.

As for getting the recordings off the 9300, I've come across this post on another site, which suggests that it can be done, even if getting them back on the pvr is not possible. Is that so?

Darnit, forgot to put the link in:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1801070

| Tue 18 Mar 2014 20:12:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnB47 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'll probably go ahead and do a format.

I would suggest waiting until one of the users with a 9300 and familiar with the problem can comment.

As for getting the recordings off the 9300, I've come across this post on another site, which suggests that it can be done, even if getting them back on the pvr is not possible. Is that so?

Yes and it is exactly what I said in post #2 in this thread; why are you doubtful?

| Tue 18 Mar 2014 22:14:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

Ah yes, sorry. I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you meant that the bug stopped you getting the recordings off rather than stopping you putting them back on.

Hopefully some other 9300 users, who've had this problem, can chip in.

Thanks for the help.

| Wed 19 Mar 2014 0:18:34 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.