My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

9300T drive failed - best HDD replacement

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Aligator

A quick summary of events so far:

- Following a power cut during the night my PVR9300T would not boot, the display just showed “PVR9300T” and when it tried to reboot the application loader reached only 97%.
    - Disconnected drive and rebooted, PVR booted up OK as a set top box.
    - Checked here for advice and purchased USB to RS232 Null Modem Cable and tried to reload software using Flash9200. Software appeared to transfer OK but PVR display went straight from Programming to End – the display did not go through the P00 to P90 as described in Martin’s instructions.
    - Tried to boot up, but no change. The loader would get to 97% before PVR display reverted to PVR9300T.
    - Purchased USB to SATA cable and have this afternoon removed the HDD and connected it my laptop. It isn’t visible in the Device Manager or under Storage and I can’t seem to do anything to find it.

Can I presume the HDD has completely failed and if so can anyone suggest the best replacement? The Western Digital WD3200AVVS is no longer available.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Alison

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 16:56:28 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Aligator - 44 minutes ago  » 
    Can I presume the HDD has completely failed and if so can anyone suggest the best replacement? The Western Digital WD3200AVVS is no longer available.

Difficult to be sure whether the drive has failed. I am uncertain because if the drive was completely dead the box should just boot up as a set top box. If you do need to replace the drive then this is suitable Link to EBuyer

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 17:44:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Aligator

Thanks Martin. Is there anything else I can try before purchasing a new drive, in case this isn't the problem? I tried connecting it to 2 different laptops, neither of which would see the drive.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 18:11:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Aligator - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Is there anything else I can try before purchasing a new drive, in case this isn't the problem? I tried connecting it to 2 different laptops, neither of which would see the drive.

If you are confident about initialising a disk and are sure that it isn't showing up then I think you have done all you can. If you are not confident then describe exactly what you have done.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 18:21:46 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Aligator

I'm a bit of a newbie, so not hugely confident.
    - Purchased a Bipra USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power Adapter for 2.5/3.5/5.25 inch SATA or IDE Drive.
    - Removed HDD from PVR9300T
    - Connected to laptop usb port following instructions supplied with cable adapter kit.
    - Laptop is Sony Vaio with Win 7 64 bit
    - Opened My Computer - Manage - Disk Management - Storage
    - Only the laptop drive and dvd drives are shown. Nothing shown for external HDD. Re-scanned several times.
    - Followed Bipra troubleshooting - disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting, no luck. Tried connecting to second laptop. No luck.
    - If I could see the drive in Disk Management to allow me to initialise I should be Ok, I just can't see it.

Before I did all this I did disconnect the drive in situ, replaced the cover and powered up which is when it booted up as a set top box. So, given the above, if I buy a new drive and use your Flash9200 facilty (thanks!) I should be able to get hummy working again?

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 18:46:07 #5 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

You don't need to reload the software, that is stored in memory not on the hard drive.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 18:56:19 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Aligator

Biggles - 38 minutes ago  » 
    You don't need to reload the software, that is stored in memory not on the hard drive.

Of course, thanks Biggles.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 19:35:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Aligator - 3 hours ago  » 
    - Connected to laptop usb port following instructions supplied with cable adapter kit.

Of course I don't know what the instructions say. My IDE/SATA to USB adapter has a label on it (in my hand writing) saying "apply power to disk before plugging USB adapter into computer" but I don't know how common the need to do that is.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 21:54:26 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

pilco

I had exactly the same problem scenario as Alligator,but in my case I had a spare sata drive doing nothing,(only 160gb) so I connected that, and when I powered the 9300t up it read on tv 'Format harddrive y or n'
    I clicked yes and within seconds!! it fired up and now works perfectly.

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 17:32:30 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.