My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

9300T HDD failed - help!

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

minimoog

Hi

In common with a few folks here my Hummy has died due to HDD failure/corruption. I had this problem previous on my old 9200 and it was quickly and easily solved by pulling the disk, attaching it to an IDE port on my old PC and running humaxrw to retrieve the recordings.

No such joy this time though. Firstly I've bought a SATA to USB interface and have got that rigged up ok I think. I can see the hummy HDD in Device Manager (obviously it doesn't show up in Explorer).

However, running the command 'humaxrw 1: -r -l' just returns a 'Permission denied' error. I'm doing this via a command prompt using 'run as administrator', under Win7.

Changing the drive number doesn't work, I get 'partition not found' in that case.

I've used the Windows Front End for humaxrw programe and on running that I get a 'humax drive not automatically detected - is it connected?' error (or words to that effect).

To be honest I don't care about the recordings on the disk and if I could just find an easy way to format it and stick it back in the device I'd be happy. But I can't find anything that does formatting so don't know where to start there, and by the look of it I'd just be 'denied permission' anyway.

Can anyone suggest anything helpful to try please before I throw the whole shebang in a skip and find a more reliable manufacturer?

Many thanks!

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 20:14:22 #1 |
  2. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Is the drive spinning up when you attempt to read it and do you hear the clicking of the head motor?
    If not one or both then it may be that the drive has failed altogether. As it's seen in device manager you could try doing a format under windows, a full format will check for and mark bad sectors and then when you put it back in the Humax it will format to it's own file system after prompting.
    If the PC is unable to format then you could replace the drive.

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 20:39:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

minimoog

Hi and thanks.

Yes the drive is spooling up and I 'think' I heard the heads moving.

I'll see if I can get Windows to format it.

Cheers.

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 20:42:43 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

minimoog

Well I lost all my recordings (couldn't resolve the Permission Denied problem) but I managed to re-format the drive in windows and sure enough the unit has accepted it and it's working fine now.

Thanks for your help Aldaweb.

| Tue 19 Aug 2014 0:14:39 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.