My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

9300T intermittently missing series links

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lightningad

we bought a grade A 9300T from Humax a month ago.

At first we had a few problems with recordings misbehaving, but after checking the tuning realised it was tuned to two different transmitters.

A manual retune sorted everything out...or so we thought! We have noticed that occasionally shows that are set to record on series link simply don't record. It seems to be just on BBC2 and ITV.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

We're in the Granada region, tuned to Winter Hill. I have noticed on the digitaluk website that a retune will be needed in April, but i cant see how that would be a problem right now.
    The firmware is the one ending .27 (can't remember it all right now!)
    None of the channels are in the 800s.

thanks
    Adam

| Tue 12 Mar 2013 20:31:28 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

lightningad - 1 hour ago  » 
    We have noticed that occasionally shows that are set to record on series link simply don't record. It seems to be just on BBC2 and ITV.
    Any ideas what could be the problem?

There is a known problem with that software version where if there are more than two successive recordings (eg 8:00 to 8:30,8:30 to 9:00, 9:00 to 9:30) and the unit is in standby then one of the intermediate recordings will be dropped. Could this explain your problems?

| Tue 12 Mar 2013 22:10:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

lightningad

I have a problem with my 9300 - it will often ignore record schedules and simply not record shows. When checking the menu, its even removed them from the scheduled recordings list.

I wonder if this is a tuning issue?

We have had problems with the tuning ever since we bought the unit. Initially we tuned it to a single transmitter (Winter Hill), but found that the BBC channels on this transmitter were constantly jumping/stuttering and making viewing really unpleasant.
    I have a crappy old grundig freeview tuner that never has a problem with BBC, so i checked the tuning and found that one gets its signal from the Lees repeater. Problem is that repeater does not transmit all the channels.

I retuned the BBC channels on the 9300 to Lees and left the other channels tuned to WinterHill. The pictures are better, and the stuttering seems to have been cured, but the recrding issue seems to be back with a vengeance!

Any suggestions what to do? I really dont want to lose half the channels, and i want to be able to rely on the timer to record stuff.

| Wed 22 May 2013 22:00:09 #1 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

lightningad

thanks for the reply Martin - apologies for not replying...i never got the reminder that a reply had been made!

That doesnt really explain the problem as we tend not to have recordings set successively. It occasionally happens if there are two running concurrently such as BBC4 and ITV1 both at 9pm.

I have also had big problems with the BBC channels stuttering constantly so have recently retuned those to the cleaner Lees transmitter, but because that transmitter does not have the full range of channels, we have had to leave some tuned to winter hill. Is that likely to cause problems?

| Wed 22 May 2013 22:07:19 #3 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

lightningad - 26 minutes ago  » 
    but because that transmitter does not have the full range of channels, we have had to leave some tuned to winter hill. Is that likely to cause problems?

The series link and accurate recording facilities will not work properly in those circumstances. The only option is to use padding.

| Wed 22 May 2013 22:35:30 #4 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Why have you started a new thread? Could we keep the discussion in the original thread please.

Admin Edit: Agreed posts moved.

| Thu 23 May 2013 6:41:12 #2 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

lightningad

Padding? whats that?

since posting last night we have seen the BBC channels return to the stuttering problem. so i have gone back to tuning everything to WINTERHILL as its obvious now its not a transmitter issue.

What i can't understand is why a crappy £30 grundig tuner has no problems with BBC, yet both the Humax and the Hitachi PVRs i have really struggle.

| Thu 23 May 2013 7:38:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

lightningad - 40 minutes ago  » 
    Padding? whats that?

When the Recording Start Time or End Time is set to anything other than "On time".

What i can't understand is why a crappy £30 grundig tuner has no problems with BBC, yet both the Humax and the Hitachi PVRs i have really struggle.

What is the signal strength and quality reported by the Humax when tuned to BBC 1? (Menu>System>Signal detection)

| Thu 23 May 2013 8:24:22 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.