My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

A different "no signal" problem?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SimplyPaddy

I have 5 working TV sets which are linked via a box in the loft. When we were on Analogue, I could receive all the terrestrial channels via my Sky satellite dish on all the sets as well as the Sky programmes on my main set. When tuned in, I could receive the Sky channel that was on my main set on the others as well. Then we went digital. All my sets are now digital. Then I could still get the Freeview channels OK & the same Sky programmes. Now I have got rid of Sky & replaced it with the Humax HDR 1010S & I can get the Freesat programmes on the main set, Freeview on 2 other sets & [/quote]No signal[quote] on the other two. I realise I can only get Freesat on the main set but how can I get Freeview back on the 2 sets that have lost it. I have no aerial. Thanks.

| Thu 15 Aug 2013 8:47:16 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Without an aerial you can't and never could get freeview on anything nor terrestrial analogue TV. You cannot get these using a dish.

A sky box has a built in splitter with two outputs. RF1 out connects to your TV, RF2 out connects to the box in the loft. An aerial connected to the Sky box in has any signals on it distributed via the 2 outputs. Before DSO this would include the PAL analogue TV signals and digital Freeview. Inside the sky box is a device called a modulator, this takes the Sky box output and creates a PAL analogue TV signal which it adds to the channels output from RF1 and RF2.

Freesat boxes don't have a modulator or a splitter but you can easily add these.

Example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-MODULATOR-CONVERT-SCART-PHONO-TO-TV-AERIAL-RF-COAX-/130849869595?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item1e77428f1b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-way-VHF-UHF-splitter-FREEVIEW-CABLE-SATELLITE-5-900MHZ-/261248395865?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3cd39e2a59

You connect the modulator to the HDR1000s scart socket. The aerial connection you should have had for the Sky box connects to the modulator in, the modulator out connects to the splitter in. One output goes to the local TV the other to the loft box.

You set the modulator to use a channel not used by your local Freeview transmitter and tune the remote TV's analogue tuners to this channel to watch freesat remotely.

If you used magic eyes before and want to continue then you need a special modulator.

Google Triax Trilink

| Thu 15 Aug 2013 9:20:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SimplyPaddy

Graham,
    That is very odd because I have two sets, connected to the Sky dish that are showing Freeview channels as we speak (figuratively). I have no aerial & no Sky box. All the TV's are now digital - we have no analogues left. Would I be correct in assuming that the main difference between the two bits of kit you mention is that the more expensive has the digital display?
    Thank you for your prompt reply.

| Thu 15 Aug 2013 10:11:15 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi,

my guess is that the Sky RF out is powered and powering a distribution amplifier in the loft. You could probably test this by pulling the plug on the Sky box and seeing if it affects freeview on the other sets.
    You may also have a loft aerial or be very close to the transmitter, but there will be something acting as an aerial for you to get freeview.

| Thu 15 Aug 2013 10:33:12 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The UHF modulator is analogue. Most digital TV's can receive and decode both digital and analogue signals.
    As Graham says the only difference in output signals from the SKY unit and HDR1000S is the absence of any RF input or output.
    If your new HDR-1000S is in the same position as the Sky box was you should have two unused RF leads (one output, one input) try connecting them together.

| Thu 15 Aug 2013 10:45:29 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SimplyPaddy

Damian,
    I have no Sky box anymore - I have replaced it with a Humax 1010S.

REPASSAC,
    I'll have a look &, if I have, I'll try that.

| Thu 15 Aug 2013 14:37:01 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.