A Mystery!

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jilly M

grahamlthompson - 19 hours ago  » 

Jilly M - 47 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Jilly M - 9 mins ago  » 
    Haha! No Trev! But now I know what’s causing it I can live with it! I did try A1944’s idea but it didn’t have any effect. Do you have any other ideas?

Here's another way, Connect this to either end of the HDMI cable that connects the box to the TV. Your problem is very common, hence the adaptor.
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-HDMI-Less-Adapter-Female-Black/dp/B00DL48KVI&tag=blusas008-21

Thanks Graham sounds like an easy fix! Off to place an order!

Confident it will work. If it does not you can at least you can replace it for free.
    Bit of background info.
    The old fashioned way of auto selecting analogue scart inputs relies on a single pin in a scart cable. This works fine.
    As you may guess the introduction of HD digital HDMI interconnects required a new way of providing a similar system.
    Putting it mildly the replacement system (CEC) was so badly defined that individual makers came up with there own variation such that different makers came up with different variants that worked fine with equipment from the same makers, they even came with up with different names.
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdmi-cec-known-as-by-manufacturer-2
    Then the capability was added that allowed the system to power off kit not required.
    Imagine you are using a TV to listen to a radio recording from your PVR. Elect to listen to the radio. The CEC system turned off the TV you were using to actually listening to the radio. Idiotic or what
    At this point simply removing CEC as per the adaptor is a fix.
    This won't affect you. However the system was extended to include the capability to return the audio from a connected TV to allow the much superior audio experience you can get from AV receiver with a 5.1 or more connected speakers.
    This is known as ARC, Audio return Channel. Problem is is doesn't work unless HDMI control is enabled. So the above adaptor would not work.
    The latest version of ARC allows a suitable TV to return the so called lossless audio versions like DTS Master-HD which can sound incredible (Just like the audio if you have watched a movie in a recent cinema with digital audio)
    ARC is now extended (E-ARC) to allow lossless audio back to a suitable AVR receiver ) My 2019 LG OLED TV and older has e-arc) as does my older Denon receiver. No need for it because the kit I have directly connected has the full audio and Video capability it needs to provide the TV with 4K-HDR video.

Erm......thanks...I think! I believe you!

| Sun 2 Feb 2020 18:50:11 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jilly M

Jilly M - 3 days ago  » 

Jilly M - 47 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 9 mins ago  » 
    Haha! No Trev! But now I know what’s causing it I can live with it! I did try A1944’s idea but it didn’t have any effect. Do you have any other ideas?

Here's another way, Connect this to either end of the HDMI cable that connects the box to the TV. Your problem is very common, hence the adaptor.
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-HDMI-Less-Adapter-Female-Black/dp/B00DL48KVI&tag=blusas008-21

Confident it will work. If it does not you can at least you can replace it for free.
    Bit of background info.
    The old fashioned way of auto selecting analogue scart inputs relies on a single pin in a scart cable. This works fine.
    As you may guess the introduction of HD digital HDMI interconnects required a new way of providing a similar system.
    Putting it mildly the replacement system (CEC) was so badly defined that individual makers came up with there own variation such that different makers came up with different variants that worked fine with equipment from the same makers, they even came with up with different names.
    Then the capability was added that allowed the system to power off kit not required.
    Imagine you are using a TV to listen to a radio recording from your PVR. Elect to listen to the radio. The CEC system turned off the TV you were using to actually listening to the radio. Idiotic or what
    This won't affect you. However the system was extended to include the capability to return the audio from a connected TV to allow the much superior audio experience you can get from AV receiver with a 5.1 or more connected speakers.
    This is known as ARC, Audio return Channel. Problem is is doesn't work unless HDMI control is enabled. So the above adaptor would not work.
    The latest version of ARC allows a suitable TV to return the so called lossless audio versions like DTS Master-HD which can sound incredible (Just like the audio if you have watched a movie in a recent cinema with digital audio)
    ARC is now extended (E-ARC) to allow lossless audio back to a suitable AVR receiver ) My 2019 LG OLED TV and older has e-arc) as does my older Denon receiver. No need for it because the kit I have directly connected has the full audio and Video capability it needs to provide the TV with 4K-HDR video.

Sad to say, Graham, the adapter hasn’t worked! It arrived yesterday and I have tried plugging it into the Humax box HDMI socket and into the TV socket but the TV has still switched to the HDMI input screen on both evenings at 7.10pm.

| Wed 5 Feb 2020 20:19:05 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jilly M - 12 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 3 days ago  » 

Jilly M - 47 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 9 mins ago  » 

Bit of background info.

Sad to say, Graham, the adapter hasn’t worked! It arrived yesterday and I have tried plugging it into the Humax box HDMI socket and into the TV socket but the TV has still switched to the HDMI input screen on both evenings at 7.10pm.

Suspect you have some sort of timer set on the TV. With the adaptor the TV can have no influence on the Humax box. It can however switch itself to using the TV internal tuner rather than the HDMI input. Depending on the way you have passed the aerial signal to the TV that can interrupt anything you are viewing using the TV tuner rather than the box. This is easy to fix. Fit a TV splitter to the aerial feed using one output to the TV the other to the Humax box. Remove the Humax RF out to the TV in coax feed.

Simple test disconnect the hdmi cable from the box 30 mins or so before the issue

happens. Does the TV still switch to the HDMI input. If so it's a TV issue.

What recording schedule do have on the Humax box, Do have a daily recording about this time.

Can you check the following.

Is the TV a smart TV with recording capability ? Make and model ?

Do you have a usb recording drive attached to the TV ?

| Wed 5 Feb 2020 20:52:43 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jilly M

grahamlthompson - 15 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 12 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 3 days ago  » 

Jilly M - 47 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 9 mins ago  » 

Bit of background info.

Suspect you have some sort of timer set on the TV. With the adaptor the TV can have no influence on the Humax box. It can however switch itself to using the TV internal tuner rather than the HDMI input. Depending on the way you have passed the aerial signal to the TV that can interrupt anything you are viewing using the TV tuner rather than the box. This is easy to fix. Fit a TV splitter to the aerial feed using one output to the TV the other to the Humax box. Remove the Humax RF out to the TV in coax feed.
    Simple test disconnect the hdmi cable from the box 30 mins or so before the issue
    What recording schedule do have on the Humax box, Do have a daily recording about this time.

Thanks for the reply. It’s not a smart TV so no recording capability. It’s a Panasonic TX-L42E30B. And no USB attached.
    I will remove the HDMI from its socket tomorrow to check. Humax box is set to record either Corrie or Enders each evening at 7.30. We did notice on Sunday the same thing happened at 5.40pm which was 20min before Dancing on Ice.

| Wed 5 Feb 2020 21:14:20 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jilly M - 17 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 15 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 12 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 3 days ago  » 

Jilly M - 47 mins ago  » 

Jilly M - 9 mins ago  » 

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-HDMI-Less-Adapter-Female-Black/dp/B00DL48KVI/?tag=blusas008-21

Bit of background info.

Thanks for the reply. It’s not a smart TV so no recording capability. It’s a Panasonic TX-L42E30B. And no USB attached.
    I will remove the HDMI from its socket tomorrow to check. Humax box is set to record either Corrie or Enders each evening at 7.30. We did notice on Sunday the same thing happened at 5.40pm which was 20min before Dancing on Ice.

Is the Humax box connected to HDM1 in . on the TV ? If so some older Panasonic TV's react to a hdmi port being activated (usually HDMI1 in) and auto select (similar to the crude auto selection used for scart connections) Move the TV end of the HDMI cable to a different HDMI in socket. With the box in sby and watching the TV check that booting the box does not affect the TV.

To confirm move the TV end to HDMI 1 in. repeat the test. If it now happens you have the solution

| Wed 5 Feb 2020 21:40:15 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Jilly M - 2 hours ago  » 
    It’s a Panasonic TX-L42E30B. And no USB attached.

According to the information on page 91 of your TV's user guide, connect the HDMI cable to either HDMI3 or HDMI4 on the TV. HDMI3 is at the back of the TV and HDMI4 is on the side of the TV.

| Thu 6 Feb 2020 0:06:31 #16 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

I think that they are more interested in seeing who can get the most quotes of quotes of quotes.
    For goodness sake stop it. Use the Reply box instead of the damn Quote button.

| Thu 6 Feb 2020 0:12:28 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jilly M

Sorry guys, new to all this! I wasn’t sure if the person you are replying to would be notified of the new comment if you don’t use the quote??
    Thanks Luke, will try swapping the input.

| Thu 6 Feb 2020 0:58:36 #18 |
  9. Trev

Trev

special member

They will likely be watching the thread, esp GLT as he is 'locked horns' in conversation with you.

| Thu 6 Feb 2020 9:11:58 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.