My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

A Week of Failed Recordings

(8 posts)
  1. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Just arrived back from holiday after a week and found that all but the first 2 days of recordings failed with the same message "Recording has failed due to loss of power".

Established there was no power cut during our time away. I did have to remove power from the 5000T as it would not come out of standby using the remote or top buttons, was just showing the red light.

Very, very annoying as now having to try and track down various missing episodes.

Any ideas on how to stop it happening again?

Attachments

1. 5000T_Failed_Recordings.JPG (74.7 KB, 45 downloads) 5 years old
    | Sun 8 Jul 2018 23:07:15 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

It genuinely never ceases to amaze me how often this happens when folk go away.

It used to be a standing joke in our house, we never had a power cut all year, yet a week away in France etc. and we would come home to find our Sky box had failed to record due to a power outage.

Graham T used to work in the power industry, I'm sure they had some sort of spyware on the grid which new when you were away - well Graham?

Mind you, think yourself lucky. Youview has been failing multiple recordings for months whether you are home or away and a fix still hasn't been rolled out.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 11:50:33 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 
    It genuinely never ceases to amaze me how often this happens when folk go away.
    It used to be a standing joke in our house, we never had a power cut all year, yet a week away in France etc. and we would come home to find our Sky box had failed to record due to a power outage.
    Graham T used to work in the power industry, I'm sure they had some sort of spyware on the grid which new when you were away - well Graham?
    Mind you, think yourself lucky. Youview has been failing multiple recordings for months whether you are home or away and a fix still hasn't been rolled out.

National Grid only own and operate the 400 and 275kV supergrid system in England and Wales. Once stepped down to a lower voltage it's down to a seperate company depending on your location. Your phone directory should tell you who that is.

Basically if some oik sticks a pick in the 415V supply cable feeding your property they only know if someone tells them.

Afaik all current Humax boxes should survive a power cut (obviously any recording in progress or due to start will be lost). The box will boot for a short period to restart the clock and then go back into sby after power is restored.

There is however a known issue with the 4000T and 5000T boxes if auto padding is enabled. Because the box only wakes up at the scheduled time adjusted by the padding the epg never get's refreshed so every day the epg loses a day and the box will stop recording after 7 days.

The solution is simple set a daily 15 mins power on/off to allow the epg to update and add the extra days data.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 14:40:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham

The solution is simple - set a daily 15 mins power on/off to allow the epg to update and add the extra days data.

That's something to suggest to Humax as a mod - update the software to refresh the epg every day.

I lost stuff when I was away but I think it was short power breaks.

Another thing I occasionally notice: I sometimes get a "Recording failed due to loss of signal" or similar error message when I play back. However, the program did record properly.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 15:21:31 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Graham

The solution is simple - set a daily 15 mins power on/off to allow the epg to update and add the extra days data.

That's something to suggest to Humax as a mod - update the software to refresh the epg every day.
    I lost stuff when I was away but I think it was short power breaks.
    Another thing I occasionally notice: I sometimes get a "Recording failed due to loss of signal" or similar error message when I play back. However, the program did record properly.

Already suggested.

I get the broken recordings all the time. I think it's programmes that have a few seconds of black video and no audio at the start and the box incorrectly thinks there is no video. After replay to a live picture and then stopping the broken icon recording goes away.

I can see this by recording same programme on a HDR-FOX-T2 and examining the footage in a video editing package.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 15:38:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveG1946

I have just had this problem when I was away last week. Very annoying!!

My initial suspicion was that the box was failing to wake up from stand-by, so I have been leaving it powered up. Not ecologically or economically sound, but I thought this might work.

However :-

"The solution is simple set a daily 15 mins power on/off to allow the epg to update and add the extra days data. "

I assume that I cannot do this within the 5000. I have a spare plug-in timer. If I set this to "ON" for 23 hours out of 24, would this have the desired effect?

| Wed 24 Apr 2019 10:11:27 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DaveG1946 - 13 minutes ago  » 
    I have just had this problem when I was away last week. Very annoying!!
    My initial suspicion was that the box was failing to wake up from stand-by, so I have been leaving it powered up. Not ecologically or economically sound, but I thought this might work.
    However :-
    "The solution is simple set a daily 15 mins power on/off to allow the epg to update and add the extra days data. "
    I assume that I cannot do this within the 5000. I have a spare plug-in timer. If I set this to "ON" for 23 hours out of 24, would this have the desired effect?

Freeview Play - System Settings - Power Timer Ok

Power On Timer ON - Set Timer

Suggested Settings

Time 07:00

Channel 101 BBC one HD

Volume 10

Repeat Daily

Power Off Timer - On

Set Timer 07:15

Note New Software is also available (1.03.50 if not already auto updated). You box needs to be connected to the internet

Settings System Settings - System Information

- CHECK NEW SOFTWARE

| Wed 24 Apr 2019 10:31:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveG1946

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

| Wed 24 Apr 2019 10:42:55 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.