My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Aerial issue with 5000-t

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

CSchofield

Hello!

Sorry if this has already been answered but I’m having trouble getting signal from my aerial to my 5000-t.

I purchased the One for All SV9420 aerial as they suggested it at Curry’s and I’ve plugged everything in and tried scanning for channels but nothing comes up so I’m a bit stuck as to what to try. It also shows no strength when selecting the signal test aswell.

Is the aerial I’ve got right for the freeview box I have or is there a better one? I’ve moved to a new build in Buxton and there is a transmitter close to me for freeview I believe.

Could someone please help?

| Mon 26 Dec 2022 15:42:57 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi CSchofield,

Welcome to the forum. To be honest the aerial device may work, but depends on your local signal strength. I certainly wouldn't use one myself, instead use a loft or roof aerial. It may help you as a temporary measure if you can get it working ok. Currys are only trying to sell things, they should have explained this to you. Have a good read of the instructions, it could even be where you position it & your room location. It is a device that will work, but only if it can cope with receiving signal.

I would do all the simple checks first: try & see if you can connect aerial directly to your tv's own built in tuner & check the signal strength & QUALITY of signal. Ideally quality should be 100% & not really fluctuating & the strength should be as near to 100%, it might be anything over 50-70%+, but you really do need a good signal, especially I would have thought in the peak district? I don't live in your area, so can't compare signal. You could also check aerial lead condition, try adding a signal booster, BUT this will only magnify the signal already & will pick up errors. Hopefully given you some tips. Do report back & let forum know how you get on. Other thought if this doesn't work is install a freesat dish? John L

| Mon 26 Dec 2022 16:11:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

CSchofield - 1 hour ago  » 

I purchased the One for All SV9420 aerial as they suggested it at Curry’s and I’ve plugged everything in and tried scanning for channels but nothing comes up so I’m a bit stuck as to what to try. It also shows no strength when selecting the signal test aswell.
    Is the aerial I’ve got right for the freeview box I have or is there a better one?

There are transmitters close to Buxton so the SV9420 aerial should have a chance of working (it is designed for cases where you are within 9 miles of the transmitter). If you could quote your full post code we can give a better opinion on whether it should work?

| Mon 26 Dec 2022 17:09:39 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jdlfreetime - 59 mins ago  » 
    the strength should be as near to 100%, it might be anything over 50-70%+, but you really do need a good signal, especially I would have thought in the peak district?

For an FVP-5000T I would say aim for a signal no higher than 90%.

Other thought if this doesn't work is install a freesat dish?

NB If a Freesat dish is installed you will also need a different PVR.

| Mon 26 Dec 2022 17:13:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

CSchofield

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 

CSchofield - 1 hour ago  » 
    Is the aerial I’ve got right for the freeview box I have or is there a better one?

There are transmitters close to Buxton so the SV9420 aerial should have a chance of working (it is designed for cases where you are within 9 miles of the transmitter). If you could quote your full post code we can give a better opinion on whether it should work?

My postcode is SK17 9UN, when we picked it up from curry’s the guy checked and did say it was within range but as the previous person mentioned they could have just said that to get a sale I’m not sure. I’m afraid when it comes to this kind of thing I’m at a beginner level.

| Mon 26 Dec 2022 18:59:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

CSchofield

jdlfreetime - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi CSchofield,
    Welcome to the forum. To be honest the aerial device may work, but depends on your local signal strength. I certainly wouldn't use one myself, instead use a loft or roof aerial. It may help you as a temporary measure if you can get it working ok. Currys are only trying to sell things, they should have explained this to you. Have a good read of the instructions, it could even be where you position it & your room location. It is a device that will work, but only if it can cope with receiving signal.
    I would do all the simple checks first: try & see if you can connect aerial directly to your tv's own built in tuner & check the signal strength & QUALITY of signal. Ideally quality should be 100% & not really fluctuating & the strength should be as near to 100%, it might be anything over 50-70%+, but you really do need a good signal, especially I would have thought in the peak district? I don't live in your area, so can't compare signal. You could also check aerial lead condition, try adding a signal booster, BUT this will only magnify the signal already & will pick up errors. Hopefully given you some tips. Do report back & let forum know how you get on. Other thought if this doesn't work is install a freesat dish? John L

Thanks for the response I really appreciate the help! I will try it with my tv now and report back. I think there is a possibility of it being the connection in my area. The internet is decent but does have some issues here and there but we are in a new build in Buxton originally from Watford so it’s completely different. I’m also in the loft room of a 3 floor house which may also cause issues too potentially

| Mon 26 Dec 2022 19:01:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

jdlfreetime - 4 hours ago  » 
    the strength should be as near to 100%

Nonsense.

Don't you use a Humax youview box?
    This is for the Humax youview and Sagemcom youview boxes. Other PVR's strength metres are far more useful, and anything over 90% indicates a possible overload and result in a reduction , or fluctuating, quality.

Other exceptions include the HDR-2000T and the HDR-1800T, which should be just below 100% but certainly not 100%, but can work perfectly 1t at 50%.

| Mon 26 Dec 2022 20:47:26 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

CSchofield - 4 hours ago  » 
    My postcode is SK17 9UN, when we picked it up from curry’s the guy checked and did say it was within range

The coverage prediction for your postcode is at https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/coverage-checker/detailed-view?postcode=SK179UN

The recommended transmitter is Belmont but this is 116km away which is well outside the capability of the aerial you have. The Buxton transmitter should give good reception on three multiplexes but will mean you are unable to receive the other three multiplexes so you will be missing quite a lot of channels. The Buxton transmitter is almost due North from your location; does your house have windows facing in that direction? If not, your best course of action might be to consult a local aerial installer to see what they recommend.

| Mon 26 Dec 2022 23:31:58 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

"Thanks for the response I really appreciate the help! I will try it with my tv now and report back. I think there is a possibility of it being the connection in my area. The internet is decent but does have some issues here and there but we are in a new build in Buxton originally from Watford so it’s completely different. I’m also in the loft room of a 3 floor house which may also cause issues too potentially"

The One For All aerial you purchased is not for use in a loft, it should be placed by a window in line of sight of the transmitter. From what I can see from the many reviews of your One For All aerial and other products they manufacture they have on the most part less than favourable reviews. And having only a range of up to 9 miles seems very low to me, many other indoor aerial manufactures quote much further distances, although you should not always trust manufactures claims, and when reading reviews try and weed out the company shills.

I live in a tenement building in central Edinburgh and when the rooftop aerial fell off 7 years ago during a stormy night I bought
    an indoor aerial from John Lewis (own brand, no longer available) sceptical that it would work at all. Although due to the positioning of the building it would not pick up from the nearer Craigkelly transmitter it can receive all Freeview HD and SD channels and radio from the further Blackhill transmitter (40 miles). Signal strength on my Humax is in the range of 70% - 90% across all multiplexes and signal quality is 100%.

So shop around on Amazon or try Argos or similar and see what is available and look at the reviews, good and bad to see what the majority have to say. When you have bought an alternative and it works get your money back from Curriys.

| Tue 27 Dec 2022 4:30:34 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.