My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Android TV Version

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjy42

I've begun looking at the Aura to upgrade my old PVR and have seen there has been good work done on gradually addressing the issues raised by users.

I have one question though that I've been wondering about; the Aura comes with Android TV version 9, whereas version 11 was released last year.
    Should I be concerned about taking the plunge with the Aura on an older version of Android TV?
    And is it likely/possible that it will be upodated to a newer version at some point?

Look forward to any comments on this.

| Sun 22 Aug 2021 20:53:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

I have recently bought the Aura but would be interested to know the answer to this as well.

| Sun 22 Aug 2021 21:50:35 #2 |
  3. davidrew

davidrew

special member

As you rightly point out the Aura uses Android TV 9 pie which was first publicly released in August 2018.

Android TV 11 was released September 2020, next is Google TV which is due to replace Android TV sometime in 2021/22.

As I understand it Google only usually support Android for the the current version -2, so currently 9,10 and 11.

Apparently manufacturers using Android TV commit to Google's upgrade policy of two major upgrades. Device makers are not allowed to simply release two consecutive yearly OS upgrades as the only two upgrades. The Android TV upgrade policy requires the second upgrade is at least three versions higher than the version the device launched with. Manufacturers can also release intermediate version if they want to.

So will be interesting to see what happens.

| Mon 23 Aug 2021 0:41:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ash21

Apparently manufacturers using Android TV commit to Google's upgrade policy of two major upgrades. Device makers are not allowed to simply release two consecutive yearly OS upgrades as the only two upgrades. The Android TV upgrade policy requires the second upgrade is at least three versions higher than the version the device launched with. Manufacturers can also release intermediate version if they want to.

The thing to remember about Google TV is that it is a front-end interface upgrade change to android TV. It is not a change to a completely different operating system. The back-end is still android, so even when the old android front end stops receiving updates all the apps that currently work on the Aura or that might be released within the next year or so should continue to work as the core OS is still android, it is just a front-end interface that has changed. I think the way it's being talked about in the press is confusing. for some, as the media talk about it as if it is a complete operating system change when it is not

As David says above, it will be interesting to see what happens in terms of the updates that the Aura gets we may end up getting the Google TV interface at some point, although I would say that's probably a year or two away for the Aura

| Tue 24 Aug 2021 19:09:32 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.