My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Another one bites the dust

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Well, my replacement box now appears to have failed (the original having suffered the terminal hard drive issue 18 months ago). The new box started playing up a month or so ago, at first occasionally it wouldn't come out of standby and required a power cycle to boot, then this began to happen more frequently, a return to factory setting didn't help and now the box won't power on at all, no red indicator light although the ethernet cable socket light is showing, so power is getting to it.

I'm pretty disappointed in Humax to be honest, to have 2 boxes fail in 4 years does smack of unreliability and were it not for the Richer Sounds extended warranty i'd be £500 out of pocket. If Richer Sounds agree to replace this one does anyone know if newer units are more reliable or are Humax shipping the same old boxes?

Based on my experience I would not recommend Humax 1000s.

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 7:14:54 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Seems you are very unlucky, your symptoms sound like the actual hard disk has packed up. You could ask Richer Sounds to boot it with the hard drive disconnected if still in warranty. If it then works a new hard disk should fix it. If not in warranty replacing the disk is pretty simple. Mine failed after 4 yrs of hard work (about 16 hrs/day), new 2TB hard disk fixed it. The hard disk (probably a Seagate Pipeline) will have a serial number, worth checking with Seagate to see if it's still under warranty.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/warranty-and-replacements/rma-faq/

WD have a similar site,

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 11:27:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I bought my 1Tb 1000S from Humax Direct in Oct 2012. Powered up on average 8 to 10 hours a day and still going strong with never a glitch (touch wood!).

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 12:17:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I bought my 1Tb 1000S from Humax Direct in Oct 2012. Powered up on average 8 to 10 hours a day and still going strong with never a glitch (touch wood!).

My first one had a fault from day one which JL replaced without a moments hesitation. The second box January 2013 is still going strong and is used just about every day.

I have to confess though I'm liking my new BT/Humax Youview box too. Very compact, totally silent and Youview is pretty user friendly. For a free box and just £5 per month subs it's hard to knock it. Got all my old favourites again now too, National Geographic, History Channel, Discovery etc.

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 14:41:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Well, I'm on box number 3 (thanks Richer Sounds, excellent service as usual). This time I have been given a 1100s, any idea what the differences are between the 2 models beyond the smaller box and no display?

Thanks

| Sat 18 Feb 2017 14:23:38 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sherbet66 - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Well, I'm on box number 3 (thanks Richer Sounds, excellent service as usual). This time I have been given a 1100s, any idea what the differences are between the 2 models beyond the smaller box and no display?
    Thanks

Same software and User Interface. No scart socket, only analogue output is RCA Phono.

| Sat 18 Feb 2017 14:30:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Well, hats off to Richer Sounds, they have provided me with a brand new replacement box and a 6 year warranty for the replacement box to boot, at no extra charge. I was wondering if the internal hardware of the box differs in any way? Although I'm now insured against the box failing I hoping that it might be more reliable, given that I'm now on my 3rd box in 4 years.

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 20:32:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

GBUK7

Lucky you i guess i should have bought from Richer Sounds and am kicking my self for not doing so, i have bought products from them in the past. Glad you got sorted but still doesn't explain all these hard drive failing in a short time .

| Wed 22 Feb 2017 20:14:49 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.