My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Archiving HD recordings

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Can I copy both SD and HD recordings to an external disk and then load them into a new, replacement Humax FVP-4000, and play them successfully?

Or is the locking of the HD recordings tied to the serial number of the unit on which they were recorded? Note I do not need to play them from the external disk if they will work when put on the new machine.

| Mon 4 Jan 2016 20:06:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnH77 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Can I copy both SD and HD recordings to an external disk and then load them into a new, replacement Humax FVP-4000, and play them successfully?

Yes I would expect so. The encryption chip is on the motherboard in other Humax HD boxes.

| Mon 4 Jan 2016 22:22:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Martin Liddle - 52 minutes ago  » 

JohnH77 - 2 hours ago  » 

Yes I would expect so. The encryption chip is on the motherboard in other Humax HD boxes.

Martin, is that the correct quote in your reply?

| Mon 4 Jan 2016 23:16:12 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Luke - 30 minutes ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 52 minutes ago  » 

JohnH77 - 2 hours ago  » 

Martin, is that the correct quote in your reply?

No its rubbish. I misread the question. I thought he was talking about changing the hard drive. There is as far as I know no way of playing encrypted HD content on anything other than the box that recorded it.

| Mon 4 Jan 2016 23:48:19 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Martin

You did not misread the question. Humax wants my unit back for testing and will be sending me a replacement.

Is there any point in my trying to copy my SD and HD recordings to the new machine so I can watch them there?

If I understand correctly:

SD recordings - you can do anything with them
    HD recordings - can be copied to a replacement disk in the same unit. Cannot be copied to the disk in a different unit.

| Tue 5 Jan 2016 11:01:13 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnH77 - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Is there any point in my trying to copy my SD and HD recordings to the new machine so I can watch them there?
    If I understand correctly:
    SD recordings - you can do anything with them

Correct providing they have had the encryption removed eg by copying to an attached USB drive.

HD recordings - can be copied to a replacement disk in the same unit. Cannot be copied to the disk in a different unit.

They can be copied but the encryption is specific to a particular box and so they can only be played on the box that made them.

| Tue 5 Jan 2016 11:19:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham

Thanks. So, in five years time, when I want to replace the PVR with the 20TB Version Humax is then selling, I lose all my HD recordings and I cannot transfer them to a new PVR.

Ouch!

| Tue 5 Jan 2016 12:02:03 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.