My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Aspect ratio for films wrong

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stark

On my HDR 1000S I can stream from my Mac (running Serviio as a DNLA server) video. However, sometimes the aspect ratio is not preserved correctly.

For example, I have a video with input of 640 x 272 (2.35:1), which gets stretched vertically. The aspect ratio settings on the Humax box don't seem to affect how it renders the video.

There was a previous post including this issue (http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-hdr-1000s-user#post-11711) and some similar descriptions of problems on the FOX Humax boxes, but no solutions that I've found.

Is it possible to get the Humax to render these correctly? If not, can I modify the video file somehow (perhaps adding black bars at the top and bottom) to get the aspect ratio shown correctly?

| Wed 6 Feb 2013 15:32:26 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Modifying the file in a video editing package to create a 16:9 background black file should be fairly easy. If you can post a link to a clip I can have a go to see if it works.

| Wed 6 Feb 2013 16:03:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

grogmeister

Is it possible to get the Humax to render these correctly?

No, the Humax displays all media incorrectly unless the file is exactly 16:9.

I e-mailed Humax detailing this problem 2 months ago & as of yet have still not had a reply.

The main reason I upgraded from the Foxsat to a 1000S (in reality it was a 'downgrade') was so I could use the DLNA feature, but this aspect ratio problem makes the movies unwatchable (for me) most of the time.

Yes, all Humax owners who use the DLNA feature could re-encode all their movies to 16:9 so they display properly, OR, someone at Humax could fix the problem in 30 minutes & save all their customers a lot of time & effort. Perhaps bob_dvb could let us know what's happening with this???

| Fri 8 Feb 2013 20:07:23 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

Humax really need to fix this problem!

They have gone through the effort of implementing a full blown media player but have screwed up implementing a *basic* capability, e.g. correct handling of aspect ratios.

Even a simple, manual, aspect ratio override option would be ok, assuming they don't have the resources and time to implement and validate auto-detection of content aspect ratios.

Humax have an excellent opportunity to push this capability, as combining a media player into a PVR is a fantastic capability to have, and is unique relative to sky plus others.

So Humax, if you are reading this, please fix this..

.. and whilst you are at it, please pass through DTS audio via HDMI.

| Fri 8 Feb 2013 23:17:43 #4 |
  5. Al Catraz

Al Catraz

I have the same problem with my HDR-1000S.

I'm assuming that if enough people raise this as an issue, maybe it will get fixed

| Tue 12 Feb 2013 10:57:41 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

ariharry - 3 days ago  » 
    Humax have an excellent opportunity to push this capability, as combining a media player into a PVR is a fantastic capability to have, and is unique relative to sky plus others.

The HDR-1000S is a DLNA client rather than a full media player.

| Tue 12 Feb 2013 11:23:50 #6 |
  7. chrisund123

chrisund123

It is rather annoying, makes it limited use. Anything that isn't in 16:9 isn't worth playing.

| Tue 12 Feb 2013 13:01:43 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjd888

Another vote here for fixing this please

| Tue 12 Feb 2013 13:12:14 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

For the average full-blown media player 90% of the s/w updates are to catch up with new codecs in the various video containers, AVI, MKV etc. I seriously doubt that Humax will go down that road anytime soon.

| Tue 12 Feb 2013 14:05:10 #9 |
  10. Al Catraz

Al Catraz

grahamlthompson - 5 days ago  » 
    Modifying the file in a video editing package to create a 16:9 background black file should be fairly easy. If you can post a link to a clip I can have a go to see if it works.

hi Graham - what software do you use/recommend to convert the video file? cheers.

| Tue 12 Feb 2013 14:55:32 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.