My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura BBC iPlayer Playback

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MackerG

We have been trying to watch a series (The Split) on BBC iPlayer through the BBC iPlayer app on the Aura. Constant interruptions for what looks like buffering, spinning part circle, then a delay then it starts up again, runs for a few minutes then stops to buffer again over and over.

Broadband downloads at 55.8Mbs, Aura connected to router via 'Ethernet over Power' boxes 500Mbs (or so they say).

So then I downloaded a couple of episodes of the series to my iPad and played it back via wifi to the Aura using the Aura's in-built Chromecast feature. No better, again regular 'buffering' made the thing unwatchable.

Next I connected a hardware Chromecast dongle to the TV and cast the downloaded episodes from the iPad. Perfect - zero interruptions, zero buffering.

As a final test I streamed (rather than playing back a download) from BBC iPlayer running on the iPad to the Chromecast dongle and again, perfect.

Looks to me like the problem is in the Aura when it plays back BBC iPlayer.

Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas how to fix it?

Thx, Bob.

| Tue 22 Mar 2022 22:38:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Presumably the IPad is connected via WiFi? Have you performed a speed test on the ethernet over power adapters? Have you tried connecting the Aura by WiFi?

| Tue 22 Mar 2022 22:47:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MackerG

Yes the iPad is connected via WiFi? I haven't performed a speed test on the adapters, don't know how I'd do that but the setup seems to work very well on other Aura apps inc. ITV Hub, My5, Google Play etc.

How can I test the speed of the EoP boxes?

Also the Aura is connected via WiFi as well as Ethernet. Should I try disconnecting the Ethernet and just run it on WiFi?

| Tue 22 Mar 2022 22:55:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MackerG - 1 hour ago  » 
    How can I test the speed of the EoP boxes?

Most manufacturers provide a speed test utility; what make are yours?

Also the Aura is connected via WiFi as well as Ethernet. Should I try disconnecting the Ethernet and just run it on WiFi?

Give it a try.

| Wed 23 Mar 2022 0:33:15 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MackerG

So I did some tests this morning and it is (as I guess you suspected) looking like it's the EoP adapters that are messing up the streaming.

I took a laptop to the Aura, disconnected the ethernet from the Aura and plugged it into the laptop (with WiFi turned off on the laptop). So now I was running the laptop through the adapters. Did a speed test which showed 27.27Mbs download and just 0.18Mbs upload (I'm wondering if that last figure is the issue).

Then I double checked I had set up WiFi on the Aura but realised that I had never completed this part of the set-up (sorry, last night I said I had). Anyway I then ran the streaming over WiFi (with the ethernet disconnected from the Aura) and it worked perfectly with no sign of buffering. Out of interest I tested the WiFi speed on the laptop and got 13.25Mbs down and 10.75 up.

So I'm working fine on WiFi for now and I think I'll get a more modern pair of EoP adapters to replace the Solwise ones (any recommendations?).

Thanks for you help.

Bob.

| Wed 23 Mar 2022 10:54:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

desm52

>>How can I test the speed of the EoP boxes?

If you have a laptop with an Ethernet port then connect the laptop to the power line adapter, disable WiFi on the laptop and goto a speed test site on the laptop such as fast.com

Edited:: Posted this just after your update so ignore.

| Wed 23 Mar 2022 10:59:13 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MackerG

Thanks anyway desm52

| Wed 23 Mar 2022 11:04:10 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MackerG - 49 mins ago  » 
    So now I was running the laptop through the adapters. Did a speed test which showed 27.27Mbs download and just 0.18Mbs upload (I'm wondering if that last figure is the issue).

I would think it is highly likely that the low upload speed is the culprit. Are the electrical sockets you are plugging the adapters into on the same ring main? I take it that you are plugging them direct into a socket rather than an extension lead?

| Wed 23 Mar 2022 11:47:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MackerG

Yes to same ring main and yes to direct into socket. The adapters are pretty old, made by Solwise. I might try them side-by-side in a double mains socket to see if the speed is better.

| Wed 23 Mar 2022 12:35:16 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MackerG - 18 mins ago  » 
    Yes to same ring main and yes to direct into socket. The adapters are pretty old, made by Solwise. I might try them side-by-side in a double mains socket to see if the speed is better.

Good idea.

| Wed 23 Mar 2022 12:54:28 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.