My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Auto delete not working

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JungleMartin

Has anyone experienced or heard of the auto delete function not working? This has happened to me twice now in the past month or two on my HDR-1000S (when, I believe, the hard drive has filled up completely).

For example, this evening, the box failed to record the F1 qualifying highlights on Channel 4 HD, set via series record. There was no 'failed recording' listed in Recordings and the race highlights programme is still there in Planned recordings for tomorrow, i.e. the series record is still in effect. I also saw that it said 100% space used. The programme before the F1 was also set to record and it only recorded something like 46 out of 60 minutes. The same three programmes were listed in Deleting soon that had been there for the past two or three weeks, i.e. they had not been deleted automatically. (And yes, Auto Delete is set to On.)

So it seems clear that the auto delete isn't working, the hard drive filled up during a recording, stopped that recording and failed to record the next one. The same thing happened within the last month or two. At the time I deleted quite a lot of stuff and thought I would just wait and see if it happened again.

I know I can delete stuff manually but with such a big hard drive it can take a lot of button clicking to make much of a difference. The auto delete would be so much better, deleting the oldest recordings... if it actually worked.

Has this happened to anyone else, and is there any solution?

Edit: A failed recording for the F1 qualifying has now appeared in Most recent recordings.

| Sun 13 Nov 2016 0:12:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Sorry can't help as I've never used it.

But personally I think the auto delete "KEEP" function is stupid, I watch a programme or series and then make the decision on whether I want to keep or delete. It takes a couple of seconds to delete. It can't be good having the HDD near maximum capacity all the time, I accidentally filled up my 2Tb with countless hours of HD Olympics and it wasn't at all happy, wouldn't play a single recording and the buffer stopped working. Normal service resumed after I deleted about 30% and left it for a few hours.
    I usually go through it and have a cull before Christmas to make a bit more room.

| Sun 13 Nov 2016 11:00:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JungleMartin

Thanks for your reply Reffub. It certainly sounds like you had problems due to a full HD. Could you clarify though, did you have Auto Delete set to On or Off?

It sounds like you're happy with the way you use yours, but for me, I want Auto Delete to work. It's there as a feature, it tells us what it's supposed to do - it should do it. My wife and I often watch stuff at different times. I might watch something and leave it on the box if I think my wife might enjoy it too. It's also simply quicker to not delete something than delete it. I agree the periodic cull is an alternative, albeit a PITA in my opinion. The whole point of Auto Delete is that we shouldn't have to even think about deleting as we go or periodically. It should just work in the background, deleting when it needs to, without you necessarily even noticing.

As a Linux server engineer of many years I can tell you there's no technical reason why a drive can't be run near maximum capacity. A reliable script that checks how full the drive is and then deletes the oldest items that aren't marked 'Keep' can be written in minutes.

I wonder whether the Auto Delete function is in fact working for anyone - maybe it's simply broken.

Does anyone have the opposite experience - that Auto Delete is working fine for them?

| Sun 13 Nov 2016 13:39:27 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Auto delete was off on my box it just carried on recording until it run out of space and then refused to do anything else until I deleted loads.

I agree that it should work and I see how you would find it useful.

I did take a instant dislike to it when I first got my box as I 'Locked' a recording only to find out I or anyone else could still delete it. A helpful person on a forum told me what the padlock 'keep' icon was really for. (My previous Humax box allowed me to lock and pin protect recordings)
    I've no idea if this auto delete feature works for others.

| Sun 13 Nov 2016 14:17:52 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JungleMartin

I agree they could make it clearer what 'Keep' does (or is supposed to do*) i.e. it marks recordings that the Auto Delete should not delete.

(* Of course, this will only make any difference if Auto Delete actually works at all!)

Can anyone else say whether Auto Delete definitely works or definitely doesn't work for them?

| Sun 13 Nov 2016 15:06:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JungleMartin

Surely somebody else has had their hard drive fill up and noticed whether Auto Delete worked or didn't work?

Today, my drive was saying 99% full and yet in 'Deleting soon' it said I had plenty of space for recordings (and nothing to be deleted automatically soon) - strange, and not true as it had only ~11GB space left (it's a 2TB drive). It was in power save standby all night from about 1am/2am. I have since deleted several hours of recordings manually, as we have recordings set for this evening which we don't want to fail.

| Mon 14 Nov 2016 14:13:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JungleMartin

Found these on another forum, but unfortunately it only confirms other people have had the problem and doesn't give any clues as to the cause or proper solution, as these people just deleted manually or formatted their drive so there was then plenty of space for recordings again.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1960727

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70018595

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/software-update-for-humax-hdr-1000s-available-from-today/
    [see comments]

| Mon 14 Nov 2016 15:13:18 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

ideally the disk shouldn't be allowed to go over 95% full as it will start to affect peformance. 11GB free from 2TB is nothing and manually deleting several hours will only add another 6-8GB.

I don't have a hdr1000s and it's pointless me testing on my other humaxes as they run different software; however if it were my box I'd cold reboot it first, i.e. unplug and then test it seeing as it's almost full it wouldn't take long. If it still didn't autodelete I'd factory reset it and test again and if it still didn't autodelete then it never will.

If it did start working after a reboot or a factory/default reset I'd test it again to see when autodelete actually kicked in. This would be useful for other users to know.

| Mon 14 Nov 2016 16:14:52 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

JungleMartin - 3 days ago  » 
    It's also simply quicker to not delete something than delete it.

Quite true but it is also quicker to not delete something than to "Keep" it. (Granted that most people would do more of the former than the latter) so 6 of one and 3 dozen of the other but I'll stick with my method for now as that actually works.

So no news then ?

| Wed 16 Nov 2016 20:48:47 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JungleMartin

Thanks both for further replies. I had already tried the full power off at the wall for several minutes and unfortunately it made no difference. I don't fancy the factory reset at this stage as we have ~50 scheduled series records which would be a pain to add again. (Plus, you can only add them if they are visible in the EPG which only holds the next seven days, i.e. you can't re-add a series record (yet) for a programme that isn't on for another two weeks, a month, etc.) Plus in my own mind I would doubt a factory reset would make a difference anyway.

What I have done for now is changed the standby mode from Power Save to Normal to see if that makes a difference - maybe it will have a bigger window of time in which to do housekeeping if it never goes into Power Save?

However, I have also manually deleted some more programmes to give us some more breathing space, so it will be a while before it gets very full again. I think we are currently at about 96%.

Interestingly, my wife reported that she had to power it off at the wall this evening as it would not wake up from standby. That was after me setting standby mode to Normal, which I did last night.

| Wed 16 Nov 2016 22:57:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.