My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Auto upgrade on the internet poss without remote?

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan1961

A strange question for sure, but sadly ...

I have taken my HDR 1000s filled with recordings for the winter season in France and have left my remote in the UK(Duh!). One ray of hope is that I have an iPad but I need my HDR upgraded for that. The box is hooked to the internet but is not attached to a Sat dish - there isn't one and I only want viewing my recordings. So a couple of questions ...

1) With the box plugged into the internet will it eventually self upgrade via that? If so, do I need to leave it in standby or switched on? How long should I expect to wait?

2) If not is there any other way to force the box to do an internet upgrade without using a remote? It seems the buttons on the box do nothing to help drive the menu system.

3) Any other suggestions?

Many thanks for any advice

Alan Smith.

| Sun 16 Feb 2014 20:46:01 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Even if you did update the box you'd still need the remote to be able to sync the box to your iPad.

| Sun 16 Feb 2014 22:25:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

3) Any other suggestions?

1. Ask some body to post the remote to you.
    2. See local electrical shop for universal remote. (Note: If you get one and it works - leave it there, so you do not have to remember to bring it with you.)
    3. Ask some one in the UK to buy universal remote and post it to you. (Note: Same as #2)

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 2:22:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan1961

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately I've learnt not to rely on the post here especially when staying in a large apartment block - deliveries go astray!

I thought I would not need to sync with the box if you were not interested in remote recording. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll try the local electrical - its a small town in the Alps ... so a bit of a drive is called for! Shame to have to buy something for just 5 mins and then take over driving it with the iPad - still only myself to blame!

Alan

PS - I assume a download and memory stick based update is not possible?

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 8:28:16 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Ok I've just tested this on another iOS device and yes as long as the box and device are on the same network you can use the app as a limited function remote control.
    However, to have access to your recordings you need to login to your freesat ID which if you haven't done so already then you will need the remote control to get the pairing code from the settings menu.

Also how come your box doesn't have the latest update as it should of done it automatically the last time you used it, unless of coarse you haven't used it since the update was released?

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 11:24:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

-gonzo- - 1 hour ago  » 
    Ok I've just tested this on another iOS device and yes as long as the box and device are on the same network you can use the app as a limited function remote control.
    However, to have access to your recordings you need to login to your freesat ID which if you haven't done so already then you will need the remote control to get the pairing code from the settings menu.

It is be possible to access recordings using the app as a remote control with the box not paired. Just turn the box off and switch it back on again and wait for the Home Screen, then use the app arrow keys to go down to recordings etc etc.

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 13:04:51 #6 |
  7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Reffub - 8 minutes ago  » 

-gonzo- - 1 hour ago  » 

It is be possible to access recordings using the app as a remote control with the box not paired. Just turn the box off and switch it back on again and wait for the Home Screen, then use the app arrow keys to go down to recordings etc etc.

Ha Ha yes indeed, congratulations you've actually found a use for the Homescreen boot up menu

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 13:16:54 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

I think we have to give credit where credit is due, Freesat obviously foresaw that their app would have limited basic remote functionality and so they made the box boot to the home screen, very clever of them !

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 13:42:21 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan1961

Thanks for the updates guys, looks like I'll still need a remote simply to update the box. I missed the OTA update as I travelled to France around Jan 5th.

Alan

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 16:03:50 #9 |
  10. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Alan1961 - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the updates guys, looks like I'll still need a remote simply to update the box. I missed the OTA update as I travelled to France around Jan 5th.
    Alan

Not necessarily as providing the update is done via the internet it should update itself when you put the box into standby and the next time you turn on it should be updated. If it updates OTA then your out of luck.
    The only way you'd know if it has is by looking at the settings menu on the app to see if the box ID shows up under remote control.

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 16:24:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.