My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Auto upgrade on the internet poss without remote?

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan1961

-gonzo- - 22 minutes ago  » 

Alan1961 - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the updates guys, looks like I'll still need a remote simply to update the box. I missed the OTA update as I travelled to France around Jan 5th.
    Alan

Not necessarily as providing the update is done via the internet it should update itself when you put the box into standby and the next time you turn on it should be updated. If it updates OTA then your out of luck.
    The only way you'd know if it has is by looking at the settings menu on the app to see if the box ID shows up under remote control.

Thanks Gonzo,

I have now had the box "on-net" one night on standby and one night switched on, power booting each morning with no apparent sign that an upgrade has come or not, other than the fact the iPad app cant see it. The clock gets updated so I guess that means it is connected OK. I also know the box is on-line as I can see the IP on the router DHCP listing.

I just don't think it will auto upgrade over the internet and only does it OTA - the online manual I can find does not go into that kind of detail.

Shame you also need a remote to get to see the SW version!

Alan.

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 17:35:34 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan1961

Reffub - 2 days ago  » 

-gonzo- - 1 hour ago  » 
    Ok I've just tested this on another iOS device and yes as long as the box and device are on the same network you can use the app as a limited function remote control.
    However, to have access to your recordings you need to login to your freesat ID which if you haven't done so already then you will need the remote control to get the pairing code from the settings menu.

It is be possible to access recordings using the app as a remote control with the box not paired. Just turn the box off and switch it back on again and wait for the Home Screen, then use the app arrow keys to go down to recordings etc etc.

Many thanks for this suggestion - brilliant!

| Wed 19 Feb 2014 22:43:08 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan1961

Although a strange tale and not of any use to anyone else, I thought I'd report a happy ending!

My box did eventually self upgrade over the internet and using the above suggestion I was able to access the full menu system of the box and thus play my recordings.

Many thanks to everyone that contributed.

Much respect
    Alan Smith.

PS - As an aside, two areas that could be slightly better ...

1) It would be nice if the remote control panel (Arrows, OK button, transport control etc) was accessible from the main screen on the app and also a way into the main menu without having to rely on a power boot. It does not feel that this way in was intentional!

2) I am unable to get the box to request a FreeSat ID and it complains that it is not connected to the net even though the box "Your Settings" ... "Network Connection" tells me that I am.
    I'm guessing it is because I'm in France.

Still, a good result for now.

| Wed 19 Feb 2014 23:06:15 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Alan1961 - 1 hour ago  » 
    1) It would be nice if the remote control panel (Arrows, OK button, transport control etc) was accessible from the main screen on the app and also a way into the main menu without having to rely on a power boot. It does not feel that this way in was intentional!

Obviously I was just being sarcastic about the boot to home screen, it has no 'intentional' useful purpose, but at least it was of use to your good self.

A full remote control for the app has been requested on the Freesat forum.

| Thu 20 Feb 2014 0:27:47 #14 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Alan1961 - 10 hours ago
    2) I am unable to get the box to request a FreeSat ID and it complains that it is not connected to the net even though the box "Your Settings" ... "Network Connection" tells me that I am.

The network connection indicates that you are connected to your LAN and that it has acquired an ip address. This is not the same as being able to resolve an ip address from a name server on the internet.

I am also in France and could get a freesat ID.

| Thu 20 Feb 2014 10:12:49 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan1961

REPASSAC - 14 minutes ago  » 

Alan1961 - 10 hours ago

The network connection indicates that you are connected to your LAN and that it has acquired an ip address. This is not the same as being able to resolve an ip address from a name server on the internet.
    I am also in France and could get a freesat ID.

Many thanks for that, I'll keep trying and check my firewall / router for any problems - but I'm doubtful as I can access Flickr, etc and the On Demand apps let me in but report that I can't watch stuff because of my Geo location.

Thanks again
    Alan Smith.

| Thu 20 Feb 2014 11:21:17 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.