My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Automatically connecting to network router reboot?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Hi Guys,

I've noticed that if I reboot my router then my 1000 does not automatically connect back to the router. It is wired so it shouldn't be an issue, it's just like it isn't trying. If I go into network connections on the 1000 and select auto connect it then connects again so no big issue except having to do that. Shouldn't it just reconnect?

Do other people get this issue?

Thanks in advance

| Sun 1 Jun 2014 21:47:14 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Most people never need to reboot their router - I would suggest that you create an address reservation on the router (normally in advanced settings, possibly under DHCP)

| Mon 2 Jun 2014 7:03:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I close down my router every night and then boot up in the morning. My 1000S never has problems connecting, nor any other device for that matter. I have the MAC address of the 1000S ticked as "fixed" on the router.

| Mon 2 Jun 2014 8:05:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Ok thanks guys, I will reserve the address but just thought that I shouldn't have to otherwise what's the point of having an auto connect setting. I don't have any issues with any other of my devices and although I don't need to reboot my router very often it does occasionally need and benefit from a reboot.

| Mon 2 Jun 2014 10:18:55 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

You make a good point, I've never actually tested it with the MAC not fixed as I tend to fix every device I attach. That way it is very easy to identify a device when fault tracing.

| Mon 2 Jun 2014 10:34:30 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Normally a router should reissue the same ip address if available, however rebooting it will cause it to forget the DHCP pool and potentially a device with a valid unexpired lease could be using a different IP from what the router thinks.

I would expect that rebooting the router should cut the power on the network cable for about 30 secs and the HDR-1000S should see this and try for a new ip when the power is restored. The LED on the network socket shows the presence of power or not.

| Mon 2 Jun 2014 12:21:28 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.