My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

BBC iPlayer Live Restart

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Live Restart is apparently being rolled out - but not, it seems, to any FTA boxes?

The service will initially only be available to viewers watching via YouView, NOW TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku and Xbox One. That amounts to only 40 per cent of the audience with iPlayer on TV.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/bbcs-newlook-iplayer-to-offer-options-to-restart-live-programmes-and-pause-and-resume-shows-across-different-devices-10461258.html

| Thu 20 Aug 2015 13:03:15 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/live_restart_device

This appears to work on the HDR 1800T & 2000T, certainly they have the option as described in the above link.

It is not perfect, sometimes misses the start by a few seconds or so, sometimes get audio but no video.

| Wed 26 Aug 2015 19:05:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

That's good news.

Maybe we'll get it on the Freetime boxes eventually. It's not on my Samsung TV so far.

| Wed 26 Aug 2015 19:43:06 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Appears to be working on my Sony TV KDL705B.

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 10:36:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ozzy

Why would you want to watch iplayer live on your Humax box when it is already connected either to an ariel or a satellite dish.

I might be missing the point here as I only just heard about iplayer live.

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 15:56:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The only advantage I can see is if you switch to iPlayer (say) 10 mins into a program you can switch to live-restart and chase the live broadcast. Similar to rewinding and chasing a live broadcast in the HDR buffer, but you can only do that on the HDR where you have been tuned to that specific channel from the start of the pgm. The iPlayer live-restart overcomes that restriction.

| Thu 27 Aug 2015 16:12:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

List of devices with Live Restart:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/live_restart_device

Not a single Samsung model, so I guess that means I needn't expect it to turn up on my TV.

Humax 1800T/2000T listed, plus the YouView models.

| Fri 28 Aug 2015 11:09:44 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I suppose the next logical step might be for BBC programmes to appear in rollback EPGs (such as Freetime, YouView, Freeview Play) from the AR start time. Perfect - if it ever appears.

| Fri 28 Aug 2015 11:33:33 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

JamesB - 13 minutes ago  » 
    I suppose the next logical step might be for BBC programmes to appear in rollback EPGs (such as Freetime, YouView, Freeview Play) from the AR start time. Perfect - if it ever appears.

Yes that would be nice. Although Freesat are not exactly on the ball when it comes to being among the leaders on new features. They are partly funded by the BBC but can't even get the latest iPlayer onboard, do they talk to each other.

| Fri 28 Aug 2015 11:49:22 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Following the YouView fiasco, the BBC was told by the Trust to reduce its financial involvement in the three platforms. Freesat-BBC interaction may be less than it used to be.

| Fri 28 Aug 2015 12:31:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.