My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

BBC iPlayer not working

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

codlins

Bit odd this one. BBC iPlayer is not working, and nor can a BBC programme be viewed from the beginning from the EPG. When I select iPlayer from the On Demand menu the screen goes black and stays that way. It does not get as far as the login options. The machine is connected to the Internet, and ITV, Demand 5 work perfectly. iPlayer works fine on other devices in the household. Most recent update is 26 Jun 17. Problem has only been around since about 4 April 18 (this posting made on 8 April 18).

Any pointers to resolving this problem are very welcome.

| Sun 8 Apr 2018 17:01:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

codlins

Should also add that I've turned if off at the mains, left it for 30 minutes and turned back on again - problem persists.

| Sun 8 Apr 2018 17:38:17 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Have you tried rebooting your router and after fully booted do a standby cycle.

How is your unit connected to the internet, Wifi, Cable, Homeplugs?

Have you made any recient changes to ISP or DNS settings?

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 8:09:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

codlins

The router has been rebooted (more than once!), but I'm not sure what you mean by a standby cycle.

The Humax is connected directly to the router by an ethernet cable.

No changes to ISP or DNS.

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 8:17:00 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I meant to say do a standby cycle on your Humax unit (put it in standby for 5 mins and then bring it out of standby.
    Leave for 1 minute before testing functionality.

The next thing to try would be a reset to default on the Humax.
    You will retain your recordings but not your schedule so take a picture of it.

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 9:17:21 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

codlins

OK, I've performed a reset, and the problem persists. I've also now noticed that the problem is exhibited on our newish Sony TV. I've replaced the router so the problem does not lie there.

Can still get iPlayer on my iPad and web browser on computer.

I've been in contact with my ISP, and explained the problem - they probably think I'm nuts - still waiting for a response.

So the problem is way beyond the Humax, and I appreciate your help to this point.

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 17:16:53 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Let us try a methodical approach to this.

1. Check that all devices are set to use automatic network settings.
    2. Make sure all devices have been restarted.
    3. Check which devices still work with more than one on-demand service.
    4. post list of results together with how the devices are connected.

| Tue 10 Apr 2018 7:20:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

codlins

The problem has now been resolve, but worth documenting here in case it help anyone else. And thanks to REPASSAC for continued help.

Summary: BBC iPlayer fails to work on both Humax and Sony TV, while other network apps, e.g. Netflix work fine. Both Humax and Sony reset to factory settings, and updated with latest software. Problem still persists. Have contacted Humax, Sony, BBC and my ISP for help. Sony suggest connecting TV to a different network, so have connected via mobile phone hotspot. iPlayer now works on both devices. So looks like an ISP issue. Now for the strange bit. Reconnect both devices to the original ISP and both continue to work. Have spoken to the ISP engineer who cannot offer an explanation.

So, happy its now fixed but would love an explanation about what might have gone wrong.

| Fri 13 Apr 2018 11:11:51 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I've noticed iPlayer has suffered from a number of issues lately. I have watched programmes on iPlayer on various of our TVs also Freeview Plus and Youview. The same issue has occurred each time - after a while the programme will suddenly stop with the message 'oops something has gone wrong, please try later'.

Checking router logs has shown there to be no connection drop outs, so it's a problem at the BBC. Sometimes it can work for days without issue then without warning the problem resurfaces. I usually mutter some expletive at this point. I have found the most reliable method of watching iPlayer is to use Chromecast where a fault on that platform is almost unheard of.

| Fri 13 Apr 2018 22:36:57 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 52 minutes ago  » 
    I've noticed iPlayer has suffered from a number of issues lately. I have watched programmes on iPlayer on various of our TVs also Freeview Plus and Youview. The same issue has occurred each time - after a while the programme will suddenly stop with the message 'oops something has gone wrong, please try later'.
    Checking router logs has shown there to be no connection drop outs, so it's a problem at the BBC. Sometimes it can work for days without issue then without warning the problem resurfaces. I usually mutter some expletive at this point. I have found the most reliable method of watching iPlayer is to use Chromecast where a fault on that platform is almost unheard of.

As always an example of the the channel and programme would help, If no one else could reproduce, it must surely point to a local/isp issue.

| Fri 13 Apr 2018 23:33:51 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.