My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Beep/screech noise from HDR-1800T hard drive

(21 posts)
  1. Paul_D

Paul_D

I bought an HDR-1800T yesterday. It appears to be fine with the following exception:
    Whenever it is powered off, either with the remote when it is not recording, or by removing the mains power, a high pitched eeek/beep/screech noise comes from the unit. I can see the hard-drive (2.5" laptop size) through the vent holes in the back and the noise is definitely coming from the hard drive.

My question is:
    - is this a feature of this model and they all do it, or is it faulty?

I assume it is the heads parking as it only does it when the hard drive is powered off. If the unit is recording and turned off, it waits until the recording is finished then does it. When the unit is switched on and being used, the hard-drive is nice and quiet. I also carried out a factory reset, an HDD format and an HDD Test and there were no faults.

Thanks in advance.

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 20:10:54 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Are you sure it has a 2.5" drive. Afaik all Humax pvrs have 3.5" drives.

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 20:21:45 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Are you sure it has a 2.5" drive. Afaik all Humax pvrs have 3.5" drives.

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 20:31:15 #3 |
  4. Paul_D

Paul_D

Hi Graham, thanks for the response.
    It is definitely a 2.5" drive. It is mounted near the vent holes and it is very easy to see inside with a torch. What I have also noticed is that there are additional screw hole positions outboard on the HDD frame that would match the screw hole positions if a 3.5" drive was fitted.
    The other thing I noticed is that the included power supply is rated at 1.5 amps, yet I understand that the power supply on the HDR-2000T may be rated at 2.5 amps. Could it be that this additional capacity in the power supply is because the HDR-200T has a 3.5" drive?

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 21:07:33 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I don't think you'll find anybody who's seen a 2.5" drive in a humax product, in this country at least, as standard. 3.5" are cheaper and more reliable.
    Depending upon what you paid for it, you may want to replace the 2.5" drive with a 3.5" when it fails or send it back. I can't remember a 2.5" drive making a high pitched eeek/beep/screech noise when shutting down, normally they'll fail with a constant clicking noise as they try to read/write.
    In regards to the other question, HdrFoxT2 if you can find one cheap enough and don't want any catchup/online apps/services apart from iplayer. Refurb'd fvp4000t from humaxdirect if finances allow is the way forward.

| Tue 24 Jan 2017 23:44:28 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paul_D - 13 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham, thanks for the response.
    It is definitely a 2.5" drive. It is mounted near the vent holes and it is very easy to see inside with a torch. What I have also noticed is that there are additional screw hole positions outboard on the HDD frame that would match the screw hole positions if a 3.5" drive was fitted.
    The other thing I noticed is that the included power supply is rated at 1.5 amps, yet I understand that the power supply on the HDR-2000T may be rated at 2.5 amps. Could it be that this additional capacity in the power supply is because the HDR-200T has a 3.5" drive?

Someone appears to have bodged a spare laptop drive into your box.

Is it a new UK sourced box ?

It's likely to be a spare laptop drive unsuitable for pvr use. Humax boxes normally have Seagate Pipeline AV specced drives.

These low speed drives are designed to have a low power requirement anyway.

I don't have your box so can't check the power supply rating, hopefully someone will post what it should be. 1.5A at 12V is only 27W. Going on the HDR-FOX-T2 and other PVRs power consumption could be around 40W or so even 2.5A sounds a bit small to me.

| Wed 25 Jan 2017 10:53:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

hopefully someone will post what it should be. 1.5A at 12V is only 27W. Going on the HDR-FOX-T2 and other PVRs power consumption could be around 40W or so even 2.5A sounds a bit small to me.

The 2 I've seen were 2.5a for an HDR-2000T wallwart and 4a for the brick. Barry has reported 2.3a for the wallwart and others 2.5a.
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/power-adaptor-for-the-hdr2000t#post-42533

| Wed 25 Jan 2017 13:25:25 #7 |
  8. Paul_D

Paul_D

I bought the Humax new and sealed (not open box or refurbished) on Monday of this week from Richer Sounds.
    I took it back there today and they tested it next to another one (serial numbers were two apart) and that one made exactly the same noise. I took the opportunity to peer inside and the one in the store also had a 2.5" drive fitted and had the exact same 1.5amp power supply included in the box.
    The build date according to stickers on the internal packaging on both machines was December 2016.
    According to pages 44 and 45 of the included paper User's Manual which covers both the HDR-1800T and the HDR-2000T, the HDR-1800T weighs 1.4Kg and the HDR-2000T weighs 1.9Kg. Also, the HDR-1800T has 512MB of RAM and the HDR-2000T has 1GB of RAM. I cannot imagine that an extra 512MB of RAM weighs 1/2 Kg.
    As it happens, I have some old 2.5" and a 3.5" drives here at home. On average, the 2.5" drives weigh approx 100g and the 3.5" drives average 600g so that would clearly explain the 1/2Kg difference in weight declared by Humax.

| Wed 25 Jan 2017 20:26:37 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Seems that Humax are now using 2.5" drives. Seems a backwards step to me.

All the Humax pvrs with 3.5" drives (I have 4) are virtually silent.

Even in a quiet room you have to put your ear next to the box to hear the hard disk.

Mind you there's no noise from my laptops with 2.5" drives either.

| Wed 25 Jan 2017 20:54:10 #9 |
  10. Paul_D

Paul_D

Thanks Graham,
    The noise only occurs at the moment of power-off to the hard drive. On start up and whilst running, it is whisper quiet. If it gets too noisy or packs up in the future, I could always upgrade it to a 1TB drive (2.5" or 3.5" as the frame will accept both sizes).
    I only bought it as a stop-gap because my neighbours are having a loft extension and their scaffolding has blocked my Humax Freesat from receiving anything at all.

| Wed 25 Jan 2017 21:55:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.