My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Best way to view recordings in another room?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I have the 4000T in Room 1 with the TV. I have a second TV in Room 2 where I would like to be able to fully control the 4000T in Room 1 and to view the recordings on it. What is the best way to do this? Only Room 1 or Room 2 would be used at any time - I do not need to have both in use at the same time.

Method 1 - Use my old H3 Espresso (software 1.27.21)

The remote does not have all the functions of the Humax remote control. The unit itself seems very flaky: it will go forward in the recordings listings but not backwards. If I fast forward a recording, it does so for a short time, then stops the recording. And so on ...

If I purchased a new Espresso it it likely to be better than my old one?

Method 2 - Extend the HDMI cable?

Can I use a long HDMI cable? It would need to be 10 or 12 metres long. When in Room 2 I would use the remote and take a signal from the LED on the remote, transmit it by wire or wireless to where the FVP 4000T is in Room 1, where I would drive another LED in front of the FVP 4000T. Using the remote in Room 2 will then fully operate the FVP 4000T in Room 1.

Method 3 - Use the RCA output

I haven't tried this yet - what is the quality likely to be? And can RCA drive 10 - 12 metres of cable? I still need the remote gadget as above.

Method 4 - Keep moving the FVP 4000T between rooms

I am reluctant to keep moving the FVP itself as it will mean repeatedly plugging and unplugging the HDMI lead which will no doubt knacker the socket over time.

Can anyone suggest better ways?

| Fri 11 Jun 2021 19:47:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

None of the above.

Need more information What is the resolution of the main display Tv. What resolution is the remote TV capable of ? Hopefully the local TV and the remote TV can do Full-HD 1020 x 1080 or better.

Splitting the output will reduce the output video to the lowest common, Output. If say you have a 4K main TV and the remote TV can do Full-HD at 1920 x 1080. Not talking abot what the TV both TV tuners can handle only what HDMI inputs they can work with.

If the remote TV is Freeview-HD capable you have other options.

Forget RCA It will be crap.

My lounge TV can do 4K 2160P. Small kitchen TV can do 1080p5o/60 on HDMI.

If both the above you can get great pictures and stereo audio from the PSB3-HD mux on both.

| Fri 11 Jun 2021 20:08:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham

Thanks. That's just what I needed.

Both TVs are the same resolution.

It sounds like I need an HDMI splitter to produce two HDMI outputs, one to the regular TV and one to the distant TV.

How long can an HDMI cable be? suggests no problems up to 50 feet which will do me fine. Interestingly, duckduckgo tells me I can extend HDMI over Ethernet so I could probably do it over a mains Ethernet which means no cabling.

I'll get working on the add-on to the remote so I can use it in the far room.

| Sat 12 Jun 2021 15:39:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

A bit of searching found Wireless HDMI Extender,1080P HDMI transmitter receiver with Loop-out IR Pass-back Support 1080P@60Hz HD Transmit Up to 650ft, Full HD - full house coverage - loopthrough - watch TV anywhere which, if I read it correctly, transmits the HDMI signal from the Humax over wireless to Room 2; and transmits the remote signals back from Room 2 to the Humax.

| Sat 12 Jun 2021 16:43:21 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 2 hours ago  » 
    A bit of searching found Wireless HDMI Extender,1080P HDMI transmitter receiver with Loop-out IR Pass-back Support 1080P@60Hz HD Transmit Up to 650ft, Full HD - full house coverage - loopthrough - watch TV anywhere which, if I read it correctly, transmits the HDMI signal from the Humax over wireless to Room 2; and transmits the remote signals back from Room 2 to the Humax.

Not the best solution. Best is a single cat 7 flat cable balun pair. By all means try it out. The full-HD has to be recoded to a lower bitrate. Let us know how it works.

If you want to view on more than 1 extra TV a digital modulator is the best solution.

It creates a DVB-T HD single chamnde HD Mux on a UHF carrier of your choice (choose a channel not used by your local transmiiter). All Freeview-HD kit can tune to this channel) and most DVB-T kit can also tune to it.

Pvrs can also record using using manual timers. You will need to set the source to output to stereo PCM audio. Afaik know no current kit can encode 5.1 digital audio to the mux.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technomate-TM-RF-HD-IR-Loopthrough/dp/B0789H7JVD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=22A1IUAWV9W7B&tag=blusas008-21&dchild=1&keywords=digital+modulator+hdmi&qid=1623528758&sprefix=DIGITAL+MODULATOR%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-5

| Sat 12 Jun 2021 19:20:38 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

In the end it was dead easy.

I bought a eSynic 1080P HDMI Extenders 60m HDMI Repeater With IR Function Up to 200 Feet Over Single Cat 6 Cat 7 Ethernet Cable for PC DVD Sky HD Box PS3 PS4 Satellite Box etc for £32. There is a similar device using coax instead of Ethernet.

I ran a flat (5mm x 1mm) Cat 7 Ethernet cable between rooms which was very easy as it went along the bottom of the skirting board hidden by the carpet (and will go under a carpet). Everything works in the remote room - I see the HDMI picture and the Humax remote control operates the Humax FVP-4000T in the other room.

Glitches are:

1. The image on Amazon is wrong. The IR receiver that receives the Humax remote control signal is the round, bulbous one. It plugs into the the RX unit in the remote room. The IR emitter which operates the Humax is the small rectangular device.

2. HDMI DRM protection kicks in. I installed a 1 to 2 way adapter at the Humax so I could plug in both the local and remote TV screens. It only allowed one screen to be plugged it at a time otherwise a message about DRM came up. I haven't tried an HDMI switch to see if I can leave both cables plugged in.

| Mon 28 Jun 2021 9:22:19 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I bought a eSynic 1080P HDMI Extenders 60m HDMI Repeater With IR Function Up to 200 Feet Over Single Cat 6 Cat 7 Ethernet Cable for PC DVD Sky HD Box PS3 PS4 Satellite Box etc for £32. There is a similar device using coax instead of Ethernet.
    I ran a flat (5mm x 1mm) Cat 7 Ethernet cable between rooms which was very easy as it went along the bottom of the skirting board hidden by the carpet (and will go under a carpet). Everything works in the remote room - I see the HDMI picture and the Humax remote control operates the Humax FVP-4000T in the other room.
    Glitches are:
    1. The image on Amazon is wrong. The IR receiver that receives the Humax remote control signal is the round, bulbous one. It plugs into the the RX unit in the remote room. The IR emitter which operates the Humax is the small rectangular device.
    2. HDMI DRM protection kicks in. I installed a 1 to 2 way adapter at the Humax so I could plug in both the local and remote TV screens. It only allowed one screen to be plugged it at a time otherwise a message about DRM came up. I haven't tried an HDMI switch to see if I can leave both cables plugged in.

For 2 to work both displays need to be both the same screen resolution. eg two full-HD 1080p displays should work OK Video wise. You are likely to need to change the audio out from surround to stereo while viewing a HD channel on both displays. If remote TV is not 1080p then the handshake will reduce the resolution to both TV's.

| Mon 28 Jun 2021 12:21:13 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 6 secs ago  » 

JohnH77 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Glitches are:

For 2 to work both displays need to be both the same screen resolution. eg two full-HD 1080p displays should work OK Video wise. You are likely to need to change the audio out from surround to stereo while viewing a HD channel on both displays. If remote TV is not 1080p then the handshake will reduce the resolution to both TV's. switch setup such that the one extra TV is not seen will work

| Mon 28 Jun 2021 12:23:05 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.