My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Bluetooth, optical,wireless speakers - USB

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Dear Forum

We are suffering an acoustic dilema a source of much "turn it down & turn it up" vocalisation notwithstanding the graphic equaliser has been adjusted on TV insofar as is possible without spectrum analyser equipment.

Exploring solutions I contemplate an additional speaker or maybe even a sound bar in a remote location on an opposite wall from TV subject to reverb is not an issue.

My initial proposal was to use optical audio output from TV via a Bluetooth (BT) adapter to wireless speaker........unfortunately TV does not have a USB power output.

However, the Humax 1010S does........so I can use the Humax as power supply to optical audio output.

BUT my query is .......will it be possible to use the Humax 1010S USB port for a micro USB - BT adapter (like the one on my laptop mouse) to receive/ connect the remotely located speaker with the audio output from the Humax in lieu of the TV??? utilising the USB port at the rear of the device (not front one)

Trust the forgoing description to be comprehensible....

Regards

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 10:59:24 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Why not simply plug in a USB charger at the TV location to provide power for the transmitter ?

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 11:10:18 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Thank you Graham

I did initially think such a method as it is most simple, however the TV & Humax are wall mounted on an excellent and aesthetically pleasing (well to me anyway) device by "Wissman" and all wires are concealed save the actual plug in to power points.

Perhaps I am a bit of an anorak about additional power adapters stuck out of the wall and rat's nest of wires ....sorry...however, an extremely practical solution.

regards

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 11:40:43 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I can't see any reason why you can't use a HDR1000S rear usb port to provide power for a Bluetooth transmitter and also as an audio source for the transmitter. Unless you can provide an audio source from the TV then of course the HDR1000S will be the only source of audio for the Bluetooth speaker. However having the TV audio come from a point that isn't by the TV is going to give some very odd effects. Can you not add a sound bar to the wall installation ?

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 11:47:58 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

The root of the problem rest with the actual architectural space, lots and lots of glass and hard surfaces, tiled floors, hard ceilings hardly any walls which are at odd angles & painted ....so not much sound absorption and some echo.

An alternative solution would be acoustic wall art....pic's, this is wallet haemorrhaging even if it were possible to find something "she" likes.

The TV swivel device is indeed fixed on a tiny bit of wall and rotates through an arc to permit viewing from a multitude of locations it would have been possible to accommodate a sound bar facility at time of order ...but was not on the agenda at the time and can not retrofit.

Anyway unless an acceptable method is arrived at to fit the sound bar onto glass the sound bar will not fit in the TV location.

Hence I came up with proposal of fitting wireless sound bar or speaker(s) on adjacent interior wall(s) which afford some method of secure fixing but no discrete cable routes.

The HDR 1010S rear USB port is quite convenient and obviates visible cables, I understand the front port is indeed for using as port to view such things as prerecorded items from flash drives and the like.

However i am uncertain and seek advice in respect of the capabilities of audio being transmitted via BT USB device to speaker.....it's a little like smoke & mirrors to me... is any bluetooth USB compatible? does the rear USB port allow audio to be transmitted? (unlike the function of the optical port which is apparent, the function of rear usb and what data/functions it has access to is not clear to me)

Apologies for any negatives, thank you for your proposals and support in searching for a solution to my current dilemma.

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 15:43:32 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bluetooth speakers have a built in Bluetooth receiver and audio amplifier and therefore require a power source to work, unless of course they are battery operated. To get any sort of reasonable power output they would require plugging in to a mains power source. A Bluetooth transmitter has an audio input and transmits this wirelessly to the Bluetooth speaker or to a Bluetooth receiver with an output you can connect to any speaker. A PC is able to connect a Bluetooth transmitter to a usb port which can deliver both power and audio, because the PC has device driver software installed to make this work. Your Humax can use usb to provide power but has not got the drivers to deliver audio over the usb connection.

An example

My AV receiver has a blutooth receiver, my smartphone has Bluetooth capability. I can send any audio output from the phone to my AV amp (and also send the screen display to my TV using screen mirroring).

Whatever way you go the loudspeaker(s) will require power even if the audio is delivered wirelessly. We haven't yet got the technology to transmit significant power (in the order of say 10 watts) wirelessly safely in a domestic environment

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 16:07:08 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Whatever way you go the loudspeaker(s) will require power even if the audio is delivered wirelessly. We haven't yet got the technology to transmit significant power (in the order of say 10 watts) wirelessly safely in a domestic environment

What about Sonos, or Pure Jongo?
    http://www.pure.com/product/jongo-s3x/#Specifications

Would a speaker like this work? Haven't tried one myself.

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 16:43:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Oh! rather remiss of me to mention...I do have power available at two of the proposed speaker/sound bar (maybe vertically mounted) locations.

So in short the Humax requires some drivers to facilitate the utilise the rear USB port for BT audio.

Is this available for download to anyone's knowledge ? how would the drivers be loaded/installed in to the Humax??...or am i loosing the plot.

If not possible via the above, guess I shall need to utilise an optical BT adapter using the rear Humax USB port as power for the optical BT device and pair with the speakers.....Which optical audio output would be advisable ? ...the TV or the Humax?

On reflection would it be the TV optical output ....due to the Human may be recording some other programme....that is if/when the satellite dish fitter admits uni-cable LNB's exist...(another story)

Perhaps the forum has even further proposals/knowledge .......

Thankyou

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 16:44:56 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Thank you James B

I have a "Sony" equivalent which I use for BT from laptop /phone etc and had anticipated it's possibility as "guinea pig" prior to "getting my hand in pocket" and jumping in to sound bar or similar.....but it appears a significant problem exists to have the audio data infomation from the BT "dongle" Humax port .....please see GrahamlThompson above.

Strange, it all sounded reasonably simple a couple of hours ago......

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 16:57:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Lindberg146 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you James B
    I have a "Sony" equivalent which I use for BT from laptop /phone etc and had anticipated it's possibility as "guinea pig" prior to "getting my hand in pocket" and jumping in to sound bar or similar.....but it appears a significant problem exists to have the audio data infomation from the BT "dongle" Humax port .....please see GrahamlThompson above.
    Strange, it all sounded reasonably simple a couple of hours ago......

Yes you do seem to have a problem at that end. It sounds as if you have no leeway for attaching any kind of external gadget which could accept the optical input and transmit it as BT stereo to your speakers? If that's even feasible...Graham?

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 17:14:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.