My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Box keeps switching on and off

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnnyg37

Not sure whether this is the same as re-booting as below but ever since I downloaded the new remote app and paired the box, I have been getting the following problem. (Probably not connected)

I'm watching ordinary Freeview via the aerial with the box switched off. About every 20 minutes or so, the TV switches automatically to the Freesat box input for about 10 seconds and then switches back to the TV. No picture appears during the switch, just a blank screen. I've also noticed that the clock symbol sometimes appears on the box even when it's not recording anything. The handbook doesn't make it clear what this symbol actually means.

I've unplugged the box for 30 minutes and done a factory reset with no cure. The latest software is also installed.

Obviously if I do a HDD reformat, I'll lose all my recordings (as will sending the box back). Any one else experiencing this and any ideas?

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 18:02:52 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

Sounds very much like the freesat remote record app polling your unit.

You have not mentioned make of TV, but you could try turning off CEC.

If you are not using the app then unpairing will poll unit one more time then stop.

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 18:24:20 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If the OP is using a Panasonic TV and HDMI 1 in, use a different HDMI in. Panasonic TV's will auto select HDMI 1 based on pure port activity (similar to a auto hdmi switch)

Mind you I would have expected OP to notice same 15 mins before a recording was due to start.

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 18:43:27 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnnyg37

Thanks for your replies. I am using a Panasonic TV and HDMI 1 in so will change input. I did get the same about 3 minutes before a scheduled recording but it has never previously occurred all the time.

I presume that this doesn't indicate a fault with the box.

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 19:11:52 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

johnnyg37 - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for your replies. I am using a Panasonic TV and HDMI 1 in so will change input. I did get the same about 3 minutes before a scheduled recording but it has never previously occurred all the time.
    I presume that this doesn't indicate a fault with the box.

Unlikely. Post what happens after you swap the input

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 19:30:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnnyg37

I have decided to delete the remote record app because even when I changed inputs, the hard disc continued to spin up every 15-20 minutes or so which can't be good for it. I emailed Humax about this and they said it shouldn't be happening. There are users with a similar problem on the Join Freesat forum so it's not just me. Apparently it's the hard disc is checking for a recording schedule. I won't be using it.

| Sun 26 Jan 2014 20:09:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

johnnyg37 - 24 minutes ago  » 
    ...I emailed Humax about this and they said it shouldn't be happening...

Of course it's happening if you have paired the box with the iOS app. Maybe someone should tell Humax.

| Sun 26 Jan 2014 20:35:14 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not sure what Humax support are saying. It's clear from lots of posts that the box lacks wake on lan capability. The EU regulations in respect of sby power restrictions make this impossible. Ergo the only way to make remote reservation possible is to wake the box from sby on a periodic basis. Freesat appear to have chosen a 15-20 minute period as the minimum period you can expect a remote scheduling reservation to be actioned. Accept a longer period (say 24hrs) then the box would only need to boot every 24 hrs or so.

| Sun 26 Jan 2014 20:46:31 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnnyg37

That means the disc will be spinning up and down at least 72 times a day - is that good for it?

| Sun 26 Jan 2014 20:56:22 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnnyg37

Something else, what does the illuminated clock icon the box itself indicate? The handbook doesn't seem to mention if. Thanks.

| Sun 26 Jan 2014 21:11:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.