My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Box keeps switching on and off

(13 posts)
  1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

johnnyg37 - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Something else, what does the illuminated clock icon the box itself indicate? The handbook doesn't seem to mention if. Thanks.

Set recordings are due soon.

| Sun 26 Jan 2014 21:23:25 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

johnnyg37 - 59 minutes ago  » 
    That means the disc will be spinning up and down at least 72 times a day - is that good for it?

I worked for some years as Quality Manager on a PC assembly/test line, that included HDDs. Accepting that AV disks, as fitted to the HDR1000S, are higher quality, I still wouldn't subject them to a spin up/down 72 times a day. That figure assumes you are away from home and the box is in permanent sby. If at home and the box is on then of course it does not need to spin up/down, hence the figure will be lower. The spin up/down time should ideally be set by a user option, which currently it is not, so I will not be using the app. To be honest I would probably not use it under any circumstances since it requires your LAN to be left powered up, which I don't do when the house is not occupied.

| Sun 26 Jan 2014 22:02:28 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I wonder if Humax have grasped the implications of these spin up/down actions relating to the new app. Taking an average couple who are out working during the day I assume...
    Box on for 1 hour in the morning and then again for 5 hours in the evening. So on sby for 18 hours per day = 54 additional spin up/down. At w/e box is on sby for 12 hours per day, so 36 spins x 2 = 72. Total for week = (5 x 54) + 72 = 342 per wk.
    Taking a 48 wk working year and ignoring holiday times the minimum additional spins would be = 342 x 48 = 16416 per year.
    I'll put money on it that if Humax factor that into their assumed warranty failures they're going to see a noticeable uplift in early life failures.

I've seen it stated elsewhere that...
    "there is different behaviour in the BT TV Humax box, which leaves the disk spinning when it’s paired to a device. The BT box has two standby modes, High-eco and Low-eco. Pairing to a mobile device (up to five devices possible) requires that Low-eco be selected.
    High-eco consumes 1 watt and takes up to 2 mins to boot.
    Low-eco consumes 19 watts and takes up to 15 secs to boot."

I still would not find it acceptable that the disk is left permanently on and spinning.

| Mon 27 Jan 2014 14:07:27 #13 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.