My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Box not recognising harddrive

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jb455

I've been having a problem with my HDR-1000s box. Around Christmas it first lost all my recordings but then fixed itself after a couple of days and restored everything (which seems to be a fairly common occurrence with these things), then went again and for the last few weeks I've been unable to access my recordings, having turned it off and on again many times since to no avail. If I go into the settings and look at the storage option it doesn't acknowledge a harddrive at all (so there's no option to format etc), so I assumed the harddrive was dead. I took the it out and put it in an external hd case to check its health on my PC and it came up fine so I plugged it into the Freesat box by USB and again- no problems: the drive is recognised by the box though I can't view any of the recordings on it. When I put it back inside the box though it wasn't being recognised again!
    Has anyone else had a problem like this?

| Tue 3 Feb 2015 23:57:38 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have seen this twice. My theory is that looking at recordings very soon after the unit boots is the cause. I think construction of the recordings list is in a separate task and if look before it is ready an error is flagged and you get the situation you describe.

The recording partition is on an encrypted filing system and you will not see anything on a PC, which would not even understand the 3 other partitions either without the correct drivers. I expect that mounting the drive on s HDR-1000S USB port would not work, on the recordings partition, as it would not be expecting an encrypted filing system to be mounted via USB.

I suggest reinstalling the drive in the HDR-1000S and just waiting longer before looking at recordings.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 8:38:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jb455

Thanks for the reply REPASSAC!
    Do you mean leaving it on standby for a while before turning it on and checking, or turning it on and leaving it for a while before going into the menu? And how long would you suggest to wait for before trying to look at the recordings? I left it on for over an hour before looking and it still wasn't working
    Thanks again!

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 20:11:07 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

After coming out of standby wait (max 10 minutes) before going into settings. Check recordings and storage settings.

If the storage menu still does not recognise the hard drive I would start to worry. Connecting by USB and SATA use very different interfaces i.e. in the normal situation the motherboards SATA controller is used and in a caddy it's is the caddies SATA interface and the units USB interface. Check the power and SATA connections at both ends of their cables and make sure they are fully home.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 7:14:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

simonf1

Same here. i have loads of recording from over xmas and now my hdr 1000s does not recognise my hard drive.

I've never trusted this box on recordings as it sometimes misses recording for no apparent reason and now its not showing the box as having any hard drive.

what's my options on this box, can it record to an external drive? if so then i have a 2.5 250gb that i can use.

be good to get some advice soon as im going to me struggling to catch all my missed recordings

TIA

| Sun 27 Dec 2015 22:23:19 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

jb455 - I would just try standby cycles
    Standby > 10 mins > On > 10 mins > look at recordings.

simonf1 - try the same. No the unit can't record to an external unit - only the HB-1000S can do that.

If that does not work then you will need to wait while Humax tracks the cause of the problem.

| Mon 28 Dec 2015 8:15:20 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

simonf1

Thanks for that REPASSAC

I've tried it on/off for the last few days and i've lost all faith in the box now.
    Ever since i.ve had it from new its been missing recordings every now and then not that often but its very annoying when it happens for no apparent reason.

I once had a humax 160Gb freeview+ and i loved that receiver, but i moved to a humax freeview+ hd 1tb and was shocked i lost lots of futures that the old 160gb had, and then i moved home and had to get this freesat hdr 1000s box and i hated it from day 1 with a long list of cons and only 1 pro.

I think i will get another box and stay away from humax for a few years as they are moving backwards from my experience.

Thanks anyway

| Tue 29 Dec 2015 1:54:04 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.