My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

BT Home Hub 5 on BT Infinity Fibre BB Package.

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My current BB contract with TalkTalk is at an end and I've been thinking for some time about changing to another ISP. Now seems an appropriate time. I'm looking at the BT Infinity Fibre package which comes with Home Hub 5. My HDR1000S and newly acquired HB1000S will be hard-wired ethernet, as is everything else other than phones/tablets on wi-fi.
    Anyone like to chip in with thoughts/opinions on the BT package as used in the Freesat/Freetime environment?

| Sun 25 Oct 2015 12:31:41 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

geoffc

I use the HH4 on Infinity 1 - currently via wifi with my HDR1010S - everything works great. Box connects to the hub almost instantly.

| Mon 26 Oct 2015 9:18:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chris A

Check out the alternative ISPs to BT before you jump. BT are often amongst the most expensive & even those that piggy-back on their lines offer better deals.
    The BT home hub is ok, but basic. You'll have no problems with it. But if you need anything like decent security look at a 3rd party router like the Bipac 8800NL or the new AXL model (no i don't work for them, just like their kit a lot).

| Tue 27 Oct 2015 19:18:23 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I agree I'm not completely sold on the home hub, principally because it sets itself up as a wi-fi hotspot which is open to any other BT wi-fi customer cruising by and reserves 25% of your bandwith for that purpose. Not a deal breaker but not something I'm keen on. I'd rather have a router-not-supplied deal and use my own VDSL router. I need to look around at deals and think about this.
    Thanks.

| Wed 28 Oct 2015 8:40:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I've been with BT's subsidiary PlusNet for a couple of years. Pretty ordinary, no obligatory proprietary router, no obligatory semi-public hotspot hosting. I'm on ADSL2 so can't comment on their fibre service.

| Wed 28 Oct 2015 10:14:10 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Just checked the Plusnet 38M fibre deal. Looks good, free throw-away router, no wi-fi hotspot, no other obligations. Will give it serious thought. Thanks.

| Wed 28 Oct 2015 10:48:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnkdevnull

Pollensa1946 - 1 week ago  » 
    I agree I'm not completely sold on the home hub, principally because it sets itself up as a wi-fi hotspot which is open to any other BT wi-fi customer cruising by and reserves 25% of your bandwith for that purpose. Not a deal breaker but not something I'm keen on. .

You can elect to have this turned off although you have to do it via a registered login on the BT web page. I've had mine turned off.

| Wed 4 Nov 2015 12:09:47 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.