My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Buffering iPlayer

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill

I have a slow Internet connection (about 1.2mb), which is just about enough to allow one laptop to run ITV player/iPlayer etc.

We currently have the HUMAX box connected via ethernet cable to the web. But experience problems with playback. (Our connection is too slow for HD, so we don't try.)

Iplayer became quite difficult to view at the weekend. I was hoping that the HUMAX box might buffer enough for this not to be a problem. Or with the addition of an external drive, might buffer to the drive. (It would be useful if you could download for later viewing.) I'm not sure how much it can buffer or if it does at all? The laptop's (decade old model) playback is better, but is not as convenient as the HUMAX. Perhaps it's a memory limitation of the HB1000s (being less than the laptop)? I was hoping that a dedicated device might playback better. Are there any optimisations I can make, or do you think I'm just at the mercy of my Internet speed?

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 14:35:02 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Unfortunately the minimum broadband specification which should be printed on the back of the box/packaging is 2.0 mb for the On Demand players.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 14:38:02 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill

-gonzo- - 1 hour ago  » 
    Unfortunately the minimum broadband specification which should be printed on the back of the box/packaging is 2.0 mb for the On Demand players.

Struggled to find that info, but yes it is on the packaging. Sometimes it works well.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 16:21:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

have you tried pressing pause?
    I used to be on 512kbs and on an older Humax the only way I could watch iplayer was to press pause and wait 5-10 minutes. I could see the progress bar in the background moving.
    I've no idea if the hb1000s buffers or not when it sees an external drive, but there's an easy way to find out.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 16:37:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bill

Paused every 5 mins thinking that it might aid, that's pretty much how we had to watch iPlayer. Not even sure if that helped.

I had a hard disk connected while it was stuttering. If the Humax boffins do trawl these forums, it would be great if you could take advantage of a connected drive to help in these kinds of situations (assuming that it currently can't, and it could be of help in doing so).

(Tv's been a bit difficult in general. Most of our watching before getting the Humax (and connecting it up to an old satellite dish), was downloading programs during the night to watch later on the TV. We have been paying the license fee for that and getting a few channels some of the time... the joys of digital!)

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 17:01:58 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.