My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Buffering issues when streaming remotely

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

itm

I recently tried to stream recordings from my Aura on my Windows laptop while I was staying away from home (using the web UI via my home VPN). The output was unwatchable, as it would stop and buffer every few seconds. I was wondering whether anyone had successfully streamed recordings over the internet?

I was thinking of using Plex, as that allows the stream quality to be reduced to suit the available bandwidth, but I couldn't find a way of allowing Plex access to the recordings on the Aura.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

| Wed 15 Nov 2023 17:56:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

itm - 1 hour ago  » 
    I recently tried to stream recordings from my Aura on my Windows laptop while I was staying away from home (using the web UI via my home VPN). The output was unwatchable, as it would stop and buffer every few seconds. I was wondering whether anyone had successfully streamed recordings over the internet?

Have you considered using the Convert option on the Aura to transcode recordings to a lower quality? Alternatively could you use FTP to copy the recording to the Windows laptop and play it locally?

| Wed 15 Nov 2023 19:05:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

itm

Martin Liddle - 2 mins ago  » 

itm - 1 hour ago  » 

Have you considered using the Convert option on the Aura to transcode recordings to a lower quality? Alternatively could you use FTP to copy the recording to the Windows laptop and play it locally?

Yes I do copy a few recordings to take away, when I remember, but I often want to watch something that was recorded after I left, or which I'd forgotten to copy in advance.

| Wed 15 Nov 2023 19:08:46 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

itm - 15 hours ago  » 
    Yes I do copy a few recordings to take away, when I remember, but I often want to watch something that was recorded after I left, or which I'd forgotten to copy in advance.

I was thinking you could use FTP when away from home; is that not feasible?

| Thu 16 Nov 2023 10:21:16 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

itm

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

itm - 15 hours ago  » 

I was thinking you could use FTP when away from home; is that not feasible?

In principle I could use FTP, but it wouldn't help with HD recordings (which most of mine are), as the HDCP encryption would make the downloaded file unplayable. It would also take quite a while to download each video (e.g. maybe half an hour or more for an episode of Match of the Day), at my ISP's max. upload speed of 2Mbps?

| Thu 16 Nov 2023 12:50:51 #5 |
  6. Mars

Mars

special member

If the upload speed is 2Mbps then that is your problem.

| Thu 16 Nov 2023 13:17:34 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

itm - 26 mins ago  » 
    In principle I could use FTP, but it wouldn't help with HD recordings (which most of mine are), as the HDCP encryption would make the downloaded file unplayable. It would also take quite a while to download each video (e.g. maybe half an hour or more for an episode of Match of the Day), at my ISP's max. upload speed of 2Mbps?

You could overcome the HD issue by recording both HD and SD versions of programmes you might want to play remotely providing you have space on the hard drive. Any solution is going to be compromised by a 2Mb/s upload speed; I am in the fortunate position of having 50Mb/s upload.

| Thu 16 Nov 2023 13:23:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

itm

Yes I suppose I could record a 2nd SD version of programmes, just in case I may want to watch anything remotely, but I can't see myself having the foresight and discipline to make that work TBH.
    The 2Mbps is definitely a major constraint, which is why I'd ideally like to use an adaptable streaming solution like Plex. God I miss my Slingbox!

| Thu 16 Nov 2023 13:33:43 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.