My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Burn ts file to DVD

(18 posts)
  1. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

What is the best method of getting an SD recording from the FVP4000T onto a DVD (I have burning software on the computer).

When I transferred it by FTP and tried to play it, the pc wouldn't play the file.

When I copied it to a external HDD, the file itself was not visible from the PC even though it definetely appeared in the recordings section of the FVP under 'Storage' external HDD

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 19:08:23 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Firstly you have to decrypt the file on copying. FTP retains the encryption. The samba server should decrypt on copying but from reading other posts the Windows variant you have matters.

Hopefully a box owner will advise further.

If you want to play back in a normal DVD player you have to master a disk in DVD-Video format.

Although rather slow DVD-Flick (It's free) will do the job.

http://www.dvdflick.net/

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 19:16:20 #2 |
  3. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

Does copying onto an external USB drive decrypt it?

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 19:30:52 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mhargreaves - 6 minutes ago  » 

It's supposed to.

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 19:38:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

It's supposed to.

But it is incredibly slow to decrypt/copy to a USB drive. However, if you are patient it should be OK. If you have a problem playing the resulting file using your chosen player try changing the file extension to .mpg.

Richard

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 23:05:45 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RichardS-UK - 5 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

It's supposed to.

But it is incredibly slow to decrypt/copy to a USB drive. However, if you are patient it should be OK. If you have a problem playing the resulting file using your chosen player try changing the file extension to .mpg.
    Richard

He want's to burn the content to a DVD blank, however not quite sure why these days as media players are very cheap. Perhaps to play on a portable DVD car player to keep the kids happy

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 23:13:12 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I copied around 70 gigs of SD material from my 2000T at the weekend onto a USB thumb drive - it did take a few hours though. Once copied they played fine as .ts files on my computer, on my other Humax or via the usb port on my TV. However, the files are quite large in this state.

You could use them like this though as Graham says you will need to author them into a DVD-Video format. I converted a couple of programmes into MP4 files which greatly reduced the file size and TBH I didn't notice that much of a difference in PQ.

Again as Graham remarks why burn them to DVD when you could simply put them onto either thumb drives or SD cards?

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 23:46:33 #7 |
  8. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

It's not for me - it's for an older relative who has a dvd player and wanted something recording. Myself, I tend to only use the device for time shifting, and delete stuff once watched. Anything I want to keep, I put onto my NAS drive and stream via DLNA.

| Thu 11 Feb 2016 14:55:30 #8 |
  9. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

When I copy a recording to an external USB drive, which folder should I find it in when I connect the USB drive to a PC?

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 9:40:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

mhargreaves - 39 minutes ago  » 
    When I copy a recording to an external USB drive, which folder should I find it in when I connect the USB drive to a PC?

I can't remember now, possibly Recordings, but the Humax only creates 3 or 4 folders, Video, Photo, Media etc, so just look in them all.

Richard

| Fri 12 Feb 2016 10:21:33 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.