My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Buy 2TB new or 500GB 2nd hand & upgrade

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

I was wondering what people think the best option here is too do, should i just buy a simple 2nd hand 500GB unit from fleabay and bung in my own 2TB drive (what drive is best by the way) or should i just buy a new 2TB one out the box?

I'm happy about buying off ebay and happy to do the upgrade myself just wondering what people think is best and are the any real differences between 500GB box and 2TB box apart from the drive of course.

All1

| Sat 12 Jul 2014 4:30:32 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You would need a low power AV drive such as the AV range from WD or a from Seagate with their DVR range. Go for a SATA 3 drive to avoid the need for a jumper (lower power as well).

Decide on upgrade V buy on price and warranty (2 years).

The only difference between HDR-1000S models is the disk inside.
    The HDR-1010S however is white and has WiFi.

| Sat 12 Jul 2014 7:12:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

OK thanks for the reply REPASSAC I have no need for wifi (i think i can buy a dongle with the 1000S anyway, i'd be going black route and doubt if the warranty means that much to me to looks like i'll be going 500GB 2nd hand route.
    I'm OK with DVR drives as i upgraded my old 9200T a few years ago from your info is there a prefered drive? I know when i looked at 9200T people were saying Seagate's pipeline drives were the ones to have I want as little problems as poss once the upgrade is done.

All1

| Sat 12 Jul 2014 10:55:45 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Most upgraders go the WD AV route.
    I use the WD20EURS.

Humax used the pipeline drives a lot (but also use other brands According to a post by BobCat)

One tip - how to open the box!
    You will need to remove the rubber feet then you will see the retaining screws.

| Sat 12 Jul 2014 12:45:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

OK well given i'm a WD fan then i'll go that route as well, thx for the tip re the screws i'm sure i saw a post a while ago on digital spy about this upgrade so i'll dive over there to see if i can see it.

All1

| Sat 12 Jul 2014 18:46:47 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.