My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Can I change postcode without factory reset?

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoomaxing

I've just moved and need to change my postcode to get my new regional channels. Is there any way I can do that without having to do a factory reset ? I have about three dozen scheduled recordings, some of shows that aren't currently airing (like Doctor Who on BBC1), so not only would it be annoying to have to re-set all my recordings, some of them won't even be possible.

Is there a hidden menu where I can enter it? I've tried all the menus I can find.

| Fri 21 Feb 2014 17:05:51 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can if I remember correctly, change the postcode by running a freesat tune. It will still delete your recording schedule though. There's no point in retaining series recordings for expired series. They will be auto deleted after 13 weeks so the codes can be recycled. The next Dr Who series will almost certainly have different crids.

| Fri 21 Feb 2014 17:49:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoomaxing

Thanks Graham. I'll rephrase my question though.

Is there any way I can do that without having to do a factory reset (or freesat tune) ? I have about three dozen scheduled recordings (only two of which are of expired shows, DW and F1).

| Fri 21 Feb 2014 18:26:24 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hoomaxing - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks Graham. I'll rephrase my question though.
    Is there any way I can do that without having to do a factory reset (or freesat tune) ? I have about three dozen scheduled recordings (only two of which are of expired shows, DW and F1).

None that I know of. One tip is to photograph your schedule using a digital camera. Makes it easier to re-instate the schedule. Use the channel number shortcut to flip between channels you need to add a reservation. It's pretty quick once you know the shortcuts. The other way is to set up a favourites list for all the channels in your schedule and apply it before recreating. If you are like me you have lots of reservations but not from very many channels.

| Fri 21 Feb 2014 19:42:25 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoomaxing

Thanks Graham. I'll do that with the photos

Do you know if there's a custom/hacking community for Humax, and whether they allow/tolerate that kind of thing? I used to hack my TiVo and put all kinds of extra features on it, and TiVo themselves didn't seem to mind it. After all, we were all buying a TiVo and paying them for ongoing EPG services.

I'd quite like to get access to things like the postcode changing, and any other stuff that needs a reset to change it.

| Fri 21 Feb 2014 21:29:20 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No known way of accessing the HDR1000S for access to change anything like what you want to do. The disk operating system itself is locked down as the actual Linux disk partitions themselves are encrypted and cannot be read on a Linux computer.

The older Foxsat-HDR is a totally different proposition. Recordings are encrypted as the original Freesat spec requires, access to the disk is not. As a result you can copy encrypted HD content to a usb drive and replay these from usb (only on the box that recorded the content). Why Freesat chose to make it so difficult to save recordings not playable on anything else, no idea. Considering the number of users that have to re-format the hard disk and lose recordings without any legitimate way of preserving the already recorded content seems particulary unfair.

As the existing recordings form part of the box and therefore could be argued as a legitimate claim for compensation, without any way of restoring these, then that would be an interesting legal argument with the supplier of the box under the SOG regulations.

But then Freesat has made loads of decisions, that defy logic. Boot to the home screen for example, does anyone think that's a good idea ? The official Freesat forum is frankly a joke.

Don't get me wrong the box is good, it could be great without the unfathomable decision process at Freesat. They seem to ignore any reasonable requests from users and make frankly daft decisions (For instance assuming the flashing OK prompt is down to Freesat for instance)

It's not Humax fault it's down to the paranoid and unreasonable restrictions imposed by Freesat that have no effect at all on the target copyright pirates.

Can you imagine anyone wanting to pirate programmes buying a Freesat/Freeview box ? I can't

The actual transmissions are not encrypted, you could easily record them on any Free To Air box/htpc without encryption so any anti piracy restrictions seem particulary pointless, aimed at non-technical users with zero affect on copyright pirates.

rant over

| Fri 21 Feb 2014 22:45:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoomaxing

Thanks again Graham. Been through the reset process, naturally lost all my scheduled recordings, purely to re-enter my postcode. I wonder if the freesat engineers have ever actually lived with a DVR. Not enough use-cases gathered in the design process.

Oh well, done now.

| Sat 22 Feb 2014 22:23:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

hoomaxing - 13 hours ago  » 
    ...I wonder if the freesat engineers have ever actually lived with a DVR. Not enough use-cases gathered in the design process...

I've had the box since day 1 and have frequently wondered that. I certainly agree with Graham that the official Freesat forum is a joke, the admin are completely clueless. Unfortunately that has impacted on Humax as I am a potential customer for 3 more boxes, but that is suspended indefinitely.

| Sun 23 Feb 2014 11:50:50 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoomaxing

Unfortunately that has impacted on Humax as I am a potential customer for 3 more boxes, but that is suspended indefinitely.

I've been asked twice if I recommend buy the same Humax model I've got and both times I said that I'm not happy with it but maybe all Freesat boxes are this bad.

Simple things like when a recording finishes and you click "Back" on the remote, it should take you back to the menu level where you came from to start playing it. Then you can quickly delete it. Instead you go a couple of levels up, back to all recordings. Then there's when you're deleting several items, it always jumps to the top of the list. So if you have items 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and you move the cursor down to #4 and delete it, after deletion will you be at (the new) number 4 (previously #5) now? Hell no, you'll be back at #1.

There's far too much remote button pressing on this thing. If I still had my old TiVo hanging around I'd compare the number of button presses to turn it on, get to a recording, watch it, and delete it. I'm sure the Humax would need at least twice as many button presses.

Don't get me started on how long it takes to startup.

Again, I'm sure that the engineers at Freesat/Humax don't actually use their products (especially the QA people).

| Mon 24 Feb 2014 10:36:56 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I, on the other hand, like the box, with some fairly minor reservations. I've recommended it to several friends. The startup time from true standby isn't any slower than for any other box I've seen or heard of.

And I deeply hate Tivo.

| Mon 24 Feb 2014 10:48:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.