My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Can you Create Folders for TV Recordings?

(21 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RichardS-UK - 1 minute ago  » 
    Personally I'm not too concerned about not being able to put recordings into my own folders.
    As said above, with series recordings the FVP4000 normally gets them in the right folder ..... but the fact that the default selection is the latest episode drives me and my Wife absolutely mad! The number of times we start to watch an episode of something and then realise that we are missing some key developments in the story because we are watching the wrong episode!
    This is absolute madness. Has the techy who programmed this behaviour as the default never watched a TV series?
    Richard

Be grateful you haven't got a second generation Freesat box. The order is a complete inconsistant dogs dinner, at least it's consistant on your box. The lack of a time makes it difficult to decipher which is the oldest recording when you only have two from the same date convinces me that the software designers never actually use the boxes. Earlier boxes had both user folders and user selectable recordings order. Why they removed these baffles me

| Wed 26 Oct 2016 17:28:21 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

RichardS-UK - 13 hours ago  » 
    Personally I'm not too concerned about not being able to put recordings into my own folders.
    As said above, with series recordings the FVP4000 normally gets them in the right folder ..... but the fact that the default selection is the latest episode drives me and my Wife absolutely mad! The number of times we start to watch an episode of something and then realise that we are missing some key developments in the story because we are watching the wrong episode!
    This is absolute madness. Has the techy who programmed this behaviour as the default never watched a TV series?
    Richard

I absolutely agree with you. My preference is to see selection of the episode that has been part watched if there is one followed by selection of the earliest episode that has not been watched.

| Thu 27 Oct 2016 6:31:04 #12 |
  3. clairehen

clairehen

Many thanks for all the posts. I did email Humax Support, who I have to say, do react quickly. The standard answer was: "Thank you for contacting Humax. Sadly there is no such feature available on the FVP at the moment but we will take your ideas on board for future updates"

Regarding the comment from KESRJack, my Sony died constantly for 4 years, which is why I switched to Humax. It works quite well as long as you are patient and leave power management off (as advised by Humax). Only time will tell of course! No doubt interesting to see what the imminent update will do - but that's another subject altogether!

| Thu 3 Nov 2016 21:25:24 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

KESRJack

Another dead Sony! The worst thing about the switch from Sony is that apparently the saved files on there are not transferable and as a result I can't migrate the stuff that was on there.

Haven't heard about the Humax power management issue - can anyone tell me what I should do to turn it off as advised by Clairehen?

| Fri 4 Nov 2016 14:53:26 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I don't have the box, but it will be in the Power option in the settings,

Most likely two options

Auto Power Down which turns the box off after 3 hrs or so of no remote activity. And Power Saving in Sby which by default is on - If you want to loop through the aerial to a TV it has to be off ( Personally I would add a passive aerial splitter and keep it on).

| Fri 4 Nov 2016 15:53:38 #15 |
  6. clairehen

clairehen

When I was deciding on the type of recorder to buy, I contacted Humax re avoiding non-recording of set programmes - the Sony was quite unreliable in that respect, as well as crashing frequently.
    Humax Support suggested that you have Power Management off. Here is part of the reply I received from them: "The tuners in the units are no more reliable over another, they all operate in the same way. Usually the majority of failed recordings are due to lack of power (Unit hasn't started in time) and loss of signal. The power issue can be resolved by preventing a low power energy setting being turned on during the setup. Signal issues are then things outside of a PVR that we may or may not be able to resolve"
    (You can also go back to the Power Management settings at any time and change them). Hope this helps.

| Fri 4 Nov 2016 16:47:45 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

KESRJack

Now that I've had the unit for a while, I am more convinced that there should be a means of using new folders of our own choosing.

On a 500 unit, if you get near the limit then you probably can't remember what recordings you have down at the bottom of the list. I'd really like to be able to have a folder of my stuff, another for the wife's selections, one for films etc etc.

It would be twice as bad for a 1000 unit.

I am requesting Humax to provide this facility as well as automatically going to the oldest programme in a series rather than the latest. Can anyone else please also send a message to Humax support - the more that ask the more likely that they may do something.

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 14:25:06 #17 |
  8. clairehen

clairehen

Here's my three-month review. So far the only programmes that have intermittently not recorded are ITV London regional news and BBC Weather for the Week Ahead. I'm wondering whether the programme code or whatever it's called is changed, because the recording will miss a day or two, then continue recording as part of the series. As for lack of folders for recordings, I agree everyone should urge Humax to add this to the wishlist. I also agree that adding to a recording schedule is longwinded, but if you can find the programme via the Guide, it's easier to set it for record. I reiterate that the machine is slow to react, but be patient and you'll get there. If it doesn't, hit the X button and start again. Finally, my overall comment is once you get used to it, this is a great recorder with fabulous functionality - no more casting for Netflix, On Demand etc. And a good picture. Interesting to anticipate my one-year review!

| Wed 11 Jan 2017 20:44:20 #18 |
  9. Chickpea57

Chickpea57

KESRJack - 7 months ago  » 
    Now that I've had the unit for a while, I am more convinced that there should be a means of using new folders of our own choosing.
    On a 500 unit, if you get near the limit then you probably can't remember what recordings you have down at the bottom of the list. I'd really like to be able to have a folder of my stuff, another for the wife's selections, one for films etc etc.
    It would be twice as bad for a 1000 unit.
    I am requesting Humax to provide this facility as well as automatically going to the oldest programme in a series rather than the latest. Can anyone else please also send a message to Humax support - the more that ask the more likely that they may do something.

I've "upgraded" from a Fox-T2, and I have to say, the 4000T is a massive backwards jump in usability.

• No skip forward/backward for ads
    • Defaults to last recording in a series
    • No custom folders (i'm used to having one called "Films", for instance

Can't wait for the warranty to be up and see if anyone has some better software.

| Fri 11 Aug 2017 23:16:20 #19 |
  10. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

Chickpea57 - 11 hours ago  » 

I've "upgraded" from a Fox-T2, and I have to say, the 4000T is a massive backwards jump in usability.

• No skip forward/backward for ads
    • Defaults to last recording in a series
    • No custom folders (i'm used to having one called "Films", for instance

Can't wait for the warranty to be up and see if anyone has some better software.

There is a skip forward/backward function I use it constantly to skip the adverts.

Just press OK or Play to display the time bar then press the forward > or back < buttons on the wheel to skip the amount of time you have previously chosen in Settings> PVR Settings > Playback Options.

Defaulting to the last recording is an irritation, (as is defaulting to 'Watch Live TV' when you want to start watching a programme still recording,) but pressing the CH up button once or twice will quickly take you to the first in the series.

I have never had folders so I don't 'miss' them, but with 360+ recordings on my 4000T I would very much like to have them

| Sat 12 Aug 2017 11:25:58 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.