My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Cant watch ITVPlayer while recording two sat channels

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

d4005

I'm currently recording from two satellite signals (BBC4 and BBC2HD) and wanted to watch something ("Via IP ... not satellite") on the ITV Player but I'm confronted with the message "Cannot change channel while recording".

But I wasn't trying to change channel, I was trying to watch the ITV Player (which requires no satellite signal and therefore does not need a channel change). It would happily let me open 4OD and iPlayer without complaining about a channel change, but not ITV Player.

Bizarrely, despite recording BBC2 and BBC4, it was quite happy to let me switch to BBC1 and it showed me the feed from that channel. It wouldn't let me view any other channels, but three were arriving somehow.

Have I entered the twilight zone?

Here's how my TV guide looked (while I could view BBC1 despite recording BBC2 and BBC4). The TV guide was restricted to all of the BBC1 regional variations. I really did enter the twilight zone.

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 21:54:04 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

cj136uk

the freesat humax box allows you to watch a third channel, when you are recording two programmes, from the same multiplex as the channels recording. perfectly normal. you can also record the live buffer of the third programme!

ITV player, I suspect (and we don't get ITV player in Scotland based on previous humax freesat boxes) this is treated as channel, even if you did go in via the backwards EPG or VOD short cut. But for Channel 4 I have been able to watch a programme while recording two programmes. But that is new.

Anyone able to explain further?

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 13:27:02 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

d4005

It seems to me that this is a bug. The ITV Player is not a channel, it's an IP video stream, so shouldn't be treated as one - and be affected by what's going on with satellite recordings happening.

I should be able to disconnect both my satellite cables from the box and still be able to watch ITV player.

cj136uk - 5 minutes ago  » 
    the freesat humax box allows you to watch a third channel, when you are recording two programmes, from the same multiplex as the channels recording. perfectly normal. you can also record the live buffer of the third programme!

Yeah that's what I thought was happening. I remember from way back in the old analogue satellite days that two devices could attach to the same LNB as long as they both watched the same polarisation range of channels. I guess this is related to that concept.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 13:31:31 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

This might depend on is the ITV player being HTML5 or MHEG.
    I seem to recall that 4OD was announced as the first HYML5 application which would mean the two older O.D.s would need to download the MHEG code via satellite before downloading the content by ip.

Same as the Foxsat (Which also needs to use a channel).

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 14:03:16 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.