My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Can't change channel while recording

(24 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

dragnil - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Crikey, it's all getting a bit complicated for an old fart; I'd just got my head around the old system, well I thought I had. Thanks again for helping.

If your old system was a Humax 9150, 9200 or 9300 (or a Topfield pvr) then apart from the HD channels they work exactly the same way.

Recording two channels from different mux -
    Watch any channel on either mux you are recording from.

Recording two channels from same mux -
    Watch any other channel.

| Fri 13 Jan 2012 15:12:21 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

dragnil - 43 minutes ago  » 
    But last night I was stuck with an error message saying that I could not change channels while recording (why not I asked myself) - does this suggest a fault with the machine?

I doubt it but you should monitor the situation.

| Fri 13 Jan 2012 15:55:26 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

dragnil

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

| Fri 13 Jan 2012 16:07:09 #13 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

You get that error message if you try changing to a channel not available on the muxes you are recording, it is certainly the one I get.

| Fri 13 Jan 2012 16:25:15 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dragnil

Thanks, now can see why I got the error message the first time but not the second.

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 17:16:14 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

dragnil

Hello again, I'll use the same thread because it follows on...
    I've read the advice and links re AR as opposed to padded recording and I decided to try the AR way of doing things. Reset my padding to OFF and let it run...

Very impressed on the whole, but I have had 2 recordings which have missed the last 2 or 3 mins (hard to tell but they were nearly finished). I think the first was on BBC2 and the second certainly was, I'm pretty sure they were not delayed but I deleted too quickly to go back and check (the second was Whale Rider at midday Saturday).

I'm about to return to the old method of padded recording but that would be silly if I've missed something because the concept of AR looks so good.

Is this a common thing or is it perhaps a problem with the nut on the handle?

| Sun 22 Jan 2012 19:29:23 #16 |
  7. rkm_hm

Watt Tyler

dragnil - 1 hour ago  » I'm about to return to the old method of padded recording but that would be silly if I've missed something because the concept of AR looks so good.

When I first had mine, I set it up with padding, but that caused all sorts of problems - so I decided to remove the padding, and it has always worked perfectly for me without. I can't comment on why you missed bits of programmes but, as I say, mine have been ok.

With padding, you get conflicts if you try to record two back-to-back programmes on the same channel because the bits of padding overlap - and it says it can't do it. I seem to recall that what it actually does is to carry on recording the first programme through the padding period, and then starts the second programme late. It has, of course, recorded both programmes - but the start of the second one is in the wrong file!

So my conclusion is that the disavantages of padding outweigh the advantages.

WT

| Sun 22 Jan 2012 21:09:33 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

StevieP

As a newbie to the Humax (though used PVR a lot before) what exactly is a mux (multiplex) and why can you view from the same mux but not outside of it (when recording two other channels). I know a bit about channels etc but I can't get my head round this one !

Oh and as an aside, looking at the link to the mux channels I notice that the quite interesting Movies for Men channels (no these are adventure films, not what you might think !) that we can recieve seem to be only from the Winterhill transmitter, does this mean no one else can get them ?

Steve

| Tue 24 Jan 2012 11:11:16 #18 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

A mux is a single broadcast channel which is a mix of a number of TV and radio stations. Each tuner is able to decode one MUX at any one time. So as the PVR has two tuners it can decode two MUXes and allow you to record or view any TV or radio stations on those two MUXes but not from any of the other MUXes being broadcast. There are six MUXes being used altogether(*), one of which is currently dedicated to the HD stations.

(*) From main transmitters. Relay transmitters only broadcast three MUXes.

| Tue 24 Jan 2012 12:30:06 #19 |
  10. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

StevieP - 2 hours ago  » 
    As a newbie to the Humax (though used PVR a lot before) what exactly is a mux (multiplex) and why can you view from the same mux but not outside of it (when recording two other channels). I know a bit about channels etc but I can't get my head round this one !
    Steve

A multiplex is just a combination of channels transmitted on one frequency (similar to a cinema mutiplex having several screens in one building). Old analogue channels equated to just one frequency whereas using a process called QAM (I'm not going to attempt to explain that one ) several bitstreams, either TV, radio or both are combined before transmission on each MUX and decoded by the PVR or IDTV into LCNs (logical channel numbers)
    Take a look at the FAQ item Which Channels Can I Watch While Recording 2 Others (link) for the second part of your query.

| Tue 24 Jan 2012 13:27:19 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.