My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Can't change channel while recording

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dragnil

With padding, you get conflicts if you try to record two back-to-back programmes on the same channel because the bits of padding overlap - and it says it can't do it. I seem to recall that what it actually does is to carry on recording the first programme through the padding period, and then starts the second programme late. It has, of course, recorded both programmes - but the start of the second one is in the wrong file!
    So my conclusion is that the disavantages of padding outweigh the advantages.
    WT

Are you sure this is the case WT? Over on the Hummy.TV forum (am I allowed to mention that here? ) I found this in the Wiki:
    "Note :- The Humax can't record the same channel at the same time twice, Even if there is a free tuner, So padding between consecutive programs on the same channel will be turned off and EPG times will be used."
    That seems to suggest that padding might be the safer option.

| Tue 24 Jan 2012 18:15:44 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I can confirm that at least for the HD FOX T2. If you have a tuner committed to two recordings in succession it will drop the intermediate padding even if not on the same channel (this is different to the Foxsat). Change from one recording to the next will take place at the scheduled time. AR will delay an overunning recording till it's complete before starting the next (preserving the end at the expense of some loss of the beginning of the second). Using autopadding any overun of the first will lose the end of the first recording.

So far recording only HD channels on the HD FOX T2 AR has performed flawlessly.

| Tue 24 Jan 2012 18:46:06 #22 |
  3. rkm_hm

Watt Tyler

grahamlthompson  » 
    I can confirm that at least for the HD FOX T2. If you have a tuner committed to two recordings in succession it will drop the intermediate padding even if not on the same channel

That doesn't quite accord with my experience. I don't think I've still got the evidence, because it was several months ago, but I distinctly remember finding the first 5 minutes of Prog2 tagged onto the end of Prog1 when I told it to record two consecutive programmes on the same channel when using padding. So the start of Prog2 was in Prog1's padding. It had, of course, dropped the padding at the start of Prog2 - and I don't think that I had actually lost anything because File2 carried on from where File1 had stopped.

WT

| Tue 24 Jan 2012 20:00:19 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rkm_hm - 24 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson  » 
    I can confirm that at least for the HD FOX T2. If you have a tuner committed to two recordings in succession it will drop the intermediate padding even if not on the same channel

That doesn't quite accord with my experience. I don't think I've still got the evidence, because it was several months ago, but I distinctly remember finding the first 5 minutes of Prog2 tagged onto the end of Prog1 when I told it to record two consecutive programmes on the same channel when using padding. So the start of Prog2 was in Prog1's padding. It had, of course, dropped the padding at the start of Prog2 - and I don't think that I had actually lost anything because File2 carried on from where File1 had stopped.
    WT

These are the observations I made from a series of tests. I don't normally use auto padding. It's very easy to set up some test recordings and see what happens. Just set up a long recording to cover more than the period of the test. Now set up two recordings on different mux and and a different mux from recording one. You will only lose content if the first of the consecutive recordings overuns the time it's scheduled to finish and it's not on the same channel as the follow up recording. If the two recordings are on the same channel of course whats missing from on will be on the other.

| Tue 24 Jan 2012 20:31:22 #24 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.