My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Can't change channels when recording

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Hi

Sorry if these questions are dumb. I don not understand what is happening and if there is something wrong.

1. My foxsat was just now recording two different channels quite happily. For info the two cables from the satellite are connected to the two outside connectors - nothing is connected to the middle one. When I last looked at the channel strength indicators, they both showed as connected and with good signals for both quality and strength, 100% and 90%.

Whilst the two programmes are being recorded I was under the impression that I could watch another, different channel/programme.

My TV does not have it's own freesat tuner. There is no analogue aerial connected to the TV either.

2. The second issue is that whilst there is even one programme being recorded, certain menu items are greyed out and inaccessible.

Can you please help me shed light on these two things. Is this normal behaviour? For instance if I had a third freesat tuner in the TV is that the feed that would allow me to watch a different channel to the other two being recorded? Do I just not have enough feeds? I suspect this must be the answer because as soon as one of the programmes stopped recording, I could again change to any channel freely rather than just a restricted set of channels. May need a new TV!

Thanks in advance for any help.

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 23:17:21 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

1. Have a read through this helpful FAQ by Graham

2. That is normal, you will also find restrictions when watching recordings.

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 23:23:18 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Thanks Barry. Would a third freesat tuner in the TV make any difference to what can be watched/recorded? Or do the same rules apply?

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 23:41:05 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

kevvyb - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Barry. Would a third freesat tuner in the TV make any difference to what can be watched/recorded? Or do the same rules apply?

To use a 3rd tuner in the TV without restriction you would need a third cable from the lnb to the TV and to record it would need the TV having the capability to record to it's own USB hard drive (most smart TV's have recording capability). Having the extra tuner connected will make no difference at all to the Foxsat recording capability.

It's possible to feed the TV tuner from the Foxsat's centre tuner 1 out, but the TV tuner will have limited access when the Foxsat is on, recording or in pre accurate recording sby (15 mins before a recording is due). With the Foxsat in low power sby, the TV will have full access to all channels (In low power sby the Foxsat passes the tuner 1 in to tuner 2 out so the TV is effectively connected directly to the lnb).

When the box is operating as above, the TV channels available on the TV will be limited according to which channel tuner 1 on the Foxsat is using. These are the same as tuner 2 on the Foxsat would have if it was connected in single cable mode (See the link Barry kindly provided)

The restrictions come from the way a lnb works. If you would like to know more this article will help.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm

| Fri 23 Dec 2016 11:35:33 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.