My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Can't get 5.1 sound....yet

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pvr

My third problem, (apologies if any of these have come up before, but I had a look and I did not see anything.)

As the title says, I cant get 5.1 sound outpu through HDMI.
    I deliberatly record the BBC HD preview as a test source and it'ds just not happening. I have yet to try a direct optical link from the box to the reciever, and maybe this will work (maybe it won't) but I would rather that the HDMI carry the signal so that I can keep the amp on one source (TV).
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Matt

| Wed 9 May 2012 17:25:52 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Only two things come to mind.

The amp doesn't support 5.1 over hdmi

or

Dolby Digital is turned off in the HDR TV setup menu.

| Wed 9 May 2012 17:52:36 #2 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

If you are passing the audio to the amp via the TV then that is unlikely to work as most TV sets do not support pass-through of DD5.1 audio. It is more usual to connect the sources (including the Fox T2 in this case) to the TV via the amp and use the amp for source-switching.

| Wed 9 May 2012 18:01:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

pvr

grahamlthompson - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Only two things come to mind.
    The amp doesn't support 5.1 over hdmi
    or
    Dolby Digital is turned off in the HDR TV setup menu.

Yeah... TBH I'm thinking that the second suggestion maybe true. (unless somebody on here can get 5.1 through HDMI?)

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and tackle the wire forest at the back of the amp.

Thanks

| Wed 9 May 2012 18:16:35 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pvr

gomezz - 15 minutes ago  » 
    If you are passing the audio to the amp via the TV then that is unlikely to work as most TV sets do not support pass-through of DD5.1 audio. It is more usual to connect the sources (including the Fox T2 in this case) to the TV via the amp and use the amp for source-switching.

This had occured to me, but the pS3 happily supplies 5.1 to the TV through HDMI only, and then the optical lead from the TV relays it to the amp, so TV is ok. Thanks for suggestion though mate

| Wed 9 May 2012 18:19:00 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A bit confused here, The box provides 5.1 out on hdmi (I have a HD FOX T2 connected by hdmi to a Denon amp). Can you detail the connections.

Are you trying to pass 5.1 audio back down a single hdmi cable connecting the TV and amplifier ?

| Wed 9 May 2012 18:34:10 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

What confused me is the mention of an existing optical audio connection from TV to amp which apparently can pass DD5.1 from a PS3. In which case why not use that same optical audio connection for the Fox T2?

| Wed 9 May 2012 19:56:03 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

pvr

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 
    A bit confused here, The box provides 5.1 out on hdmi (I have a HD FOX T2 connected by hdmi to a Denon amp). Can you detail the connections.
    Are you trying to pass 5.1 audio back down a single hdmi cable connecting the TV and amplifier ?

No. My amp is an older model and cannot accept an HDMI connection - only optical and co axial.
    The TV has an optical cable connecting it with the AMP (allocated to source =TV.)
    The PS3 is connected to TV via HDMI only- ( 5.1 passes from the PS3 thru the tv to the Amp ok)
    The PVR is connected to TV via HDMI only.(5.1 Doesn't pass through, but should)- I just get normal sound.

As the majority of what the Humax broadcasts is not 5.1 anyway, I only really noticed when I used the BBC HD preview test.

This allows the current thing the TV is displaying to output sound via this single optical cable without having to select a different source on the amp eg DVD, AUX, VCR1, VCR2 etc.

My next step is to try oupputting 5.1from the HUMAX via an extra optical cable running from this to the AMP. This will of course mean I have to switch source on the amp eg CD is 'free' but I really shouldn't have to if the HUMAX does support 5.1 output via HDMI. It should pass through the TV as the PS3 does. Does that make more sense. Please ask if you need any more info

| Wed 9 May 2012 23:00:14 #8 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Have you tried swapping the HDMI cables from the PVR and the PS3 to different inputs on the TV set? Just in case the TV only passes DD5.1 from one input and not another?

My old Denon amp also has no HDMI inputs and only one Optical input and rather than spend thousands on a modern amp and speakers that would give me an appreciable improvement in performance I spent around £50 on a combined HDMI/Optical/Co-ax four-way switch (Thor HDC75) and use that for all my source switching as it switches the paired HDMI and Optical inputs in unison. An option to consider.

| Wed 9 May 2012 23:29:44 #9 |
  10. brian

brian

special member

Presumably you do have your HDR-FOX T2 set to Multi-channel output, and not Stereo?

MENU > Settings > Preferences > Audio > Digital Audio Output > Multi-channel

| Thu 10 May 2012 8:16:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.