My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Can't pause live TV when recording the same series

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

I often watch programmes live that I also record the series of. Today I watched egg heads and paused 15 minutes into the 30 minute programme. Just after I continued to watch the paused live program it suddenly stopped and went back to real time live TV. I have noticed that the time shift failed at the same time as the programme being recorded ended. The recorder stopped recording egg heads series recording and stopped the time shift at the same time. I have noticed that this happens every time and there aren't even any other programmes set to be recorded. I obviously went into the recordings and continued to watch the recorded programme but this is a pain in the neck.

| Tue 9 Aug 2016 23:34:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

Series is a red herring.
    It's working the way it's supposed to - it only buffers the current programme.

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 0:07:36 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

I don't understand you. There was still 10 minutes of the paused programme left

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 0:32:53 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Phil1 - 8 hours ago  » 
    I don't understand you. There was still 10 minutes of the paused programme left

When the live programme finished the time shift buffer resets to record the next programme from the beginning. The fix is simple, watch the recording in chasing playback. Because you are now watching from the actual recording file you can pause/rewind etc within the current end position of the live recording.

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 8:57:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

I still don't get this. My digital stream recorder buffers for 2 hours. The programme ending makes no difference. The only time buffering stops is when another programme in the timer starts to record. It can't record 2 programs and buffer at the same time. This old recorder is ancient and one of the first HD recorders

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 11:53:33 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Phil1 - 11 minutes ago  » 
    I still don't get this. My digital stream recorder buffers for 2 hours. The programme ending makes no difference. The only time buffering stops is when another programme in the timer starts to record. It can't record 2 programs and buffer at the same time. This old recorder is ancient and one of the first HD recorders

The fact is that is how all Humax pvrs work. What is the problem with simply watching the recording as it is being made ? That's what chasing playback is for. Can your digital stream record a whole programme from the buffer completely automatically if the box was tuned to the channel when the programme started by pushing a single button at any time the programme is being viewed ?

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 12:08:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

My HDR-FOX T2, HDR-2000T and HD-FOX T2 don't work quite like that. They have a 2 hour buffer but if a programme is being recorded the buffer is replaced by making use of the recording, in effect giving the appearance that the normal buffer has been cleared when the watched programme starts to record. When the recording ends for a watched live programme it then reverts to the buffer.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of owners who have not noticed that the 2 hour buffer isn't always 2 hours, as it must be a bit unusual to watch live and record the same broadcast of a programme.

But as you said, the solution is simple, just use chase play if the programme you want to watch is recording.

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 14:24:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

I obviously know how to get around this. Surely a buffer should stay until you fast forward through adverts or hit the time limit of 2 hours. Why would the end of recording a programme wipe the buffer of 15 minutes time shift if there aren't any other programmes being recorded? I have many series set to record and often watch programmes live if there isn't anything else on. I am not really asking advice. I'm just pointing out a firmware fault.

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 15:03:27 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Phil1 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I obviously know how to get around this. Surely a buffer should stay until you fast forward through adverts or hit the time limit of 2 hours. Why would the end of recording a programme wipe the buffer of 15 minutes time shift if there aren't any other programmes being recorded? I have many series set to record and often watch programmes live if there isn't anything else on. I am not really asking advice. I'm just pointing out a firmware fault.

If it did that, then if you switched to watch the follow on programme and wanted to record it from the buffer you wouldn't get the start. Doing it the way it does always means the end of the programme is always available by simply using the recording you already have. To preserve the buffer and record from the end of the existing buffered content means that the buffer available would be variable and the follow up may not fit into the available space. I don't think it's a fault at all, it's simply the way the comprimise that is required has been handled.

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 16:23:31 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

Crap

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 16:32:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.