My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Channel 4

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsy

Will the loss of Channel 4 on Freesat affect Humax popularity.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 21:46:54 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsy

Sorry I didn't see the ongoing post re this situation. Just learnt of this and I understand that it is due to Freesat levelling new charges.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 21:52:12 #2 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

No. That is what C4 is claiming it is. I, for one, reserve the right to be sceptical until the real truth comes out.

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 12:12:06 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marty788

It's only Channel 4 HD and All4 that have been taken off Freesat from today, all other channels remain the same.I noticed this earlier when I checked recording schedules and realised hat all my 4HD scheduled recordings had gone!

(From the Channel 4 website)

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 14:40:18 #4 |
  5. SpiderJon

SpiderJon

gomezz said:

That is what C4 is claiming it is. I, for one, reserve the right to be sceptical until the real truth comes out.

C4 is saying Freesat has made "significant" cost increases.

Freesat has since responded, saying that "while the cost for Channel 4 HD was set to increase ... there was no price rise for All4".

And regarding the fee increase for 4HD, it said that "Freesat's aim is not to make a profit from these changes but simply to cover its operational costs" which, it said, had eclipsed income for "many years", prompting a review of its fee structure "in order to better maintain and develop the platform."

(Quotes taken from http://uk.pcmag.com/channel-4/93448/news/freesat-denies-channel-4s-all4-price-hike-claim )

So, it's a bit of a contract spat, with both sides regarding themselves as being hard done-by, which obviously ended in brinkmanship -- hence the removal of 4HD and All4 with almost no notice.

I'm guessing it'll get sorted out before too long and 4HD and All4 will return to Freesat. The main complicating factor is that C4 doesn't have a direct interest in Freesat -- unlike Freeview and YouView, in both of which it's a stakeholder -- so it's probably less motivated to compromise.

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 19:02:19 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.