My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Chromecast to 1100s ... did I dream it?

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Morning all.

We use Chromecast on several Panasonic DT30's with Freesat, RJ45 connected in kids rooms, kitchen, gym etc. Works a treat & cheap to do.

But I could have swore I'd seen a way to cast to the 1100s.....but equally quickley it disappeared!!!

Reason I'm unsure is that the VM Tivo box it replaced did have option to chromecast to it. We still have that but was certain I saw a weird wifi number come up that was the 1100s.

Am I dreaming or is it possible to cast from windows laptop pr android tablet to 1100s? Many thanks

| Sat 5 Mar 2016 10:06:28 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The 1100S has a dlna client. Windows has a built in DLNA server in Windows Media Player. Any suitable shared content on your laptop (or Android device with a suitable app) can be played back using the 1100S. The procedure varies with the version of Windows.

On the Humax - Home - Humax - Media Share.

| Sat 5 Mar 2016 10:28:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

If you have an Android phone or Tablet why not just cast straight to the Panasonic TV - that is what I do even though I have Chromecast. The Panasonic acts as a really versatile client, I use this TV for my NAS streaming, streaming from our HWT 120 in another part of the house and casting from Android.

| Sat 5 Mar 2016 12:57:28 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Morning both, yes we use the dlna extensively & very successfully...works a treat. And yes it can see movies etc from the laptop and tablets as well as the NAS.

And indeed have chromecast 2's on all the DT30 Pana's...also work a treat. But not aware that the DT30 Pana's have cast options built in....newer ones yes but the DT30's are a 2011/12 set & do not to the best of my knowledge.

This is slightly different....the TV connected to the 1100s is a large old mega expensive Pioneer Plasma with zero HDMI but an HDFury....all working spot on.

But I'm sure I saw a reference number occur in the Chromecast tab (in google) scan that showed the 1100s device as something that can be cast to....similar to the function that the VM Tivo has.

Is not so much getting media files to the set, is casting google tabs and email and apps via the 1100s to the old TV that would be very useful. But that only works if the 1100s is castable from laptop/android etc chrome style. I'm certain I have seen it & accidentally used it. But can find no documentation that supports that.

Is possible it was a device next door etc but wanted to confirm if it's a stock feature or not. Many thanks

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 12:14:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I don't think I can cast to either my 2000T or my 1000s though accept the 1100s is somewhat newer.

Regarding casting to the Panasonic TV (mine is ET60) - I think this is a feature of Android rather than the TV as I didn't have the facility on my iPad but do from an Android tablet.

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 15:43:35 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Blimey I never knew that and I thought I knew the DT30 like the back of my hand...great great sets....in fact I'm off to pick another one up this weekend off ebay....£80 for what was an £1100 set...not bad.

Going to have a play with. Yes our tabs are all Android....Sony Z5, Nexus 7 2gen.

Worse again, we did have all 1st gen Chromecasts and recently replaced them all with the 2nd gen ones! Will be great to see the ability to cast directly but will kick myself for so many chromecasts bought & wasted!!

Will check and let you know...interesting

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 15:52:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

surfgeek

Hi
    You can chromecast for youtube, my chromebook works great for this.
    Maybe this is because chromecast works best by streaming from the internet and the Humax box oviusly has also the youtube app so they can talk to each other.
    I've not seen an option to stream anything else.

| Sun 20 Mar 2016 9:35:29 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

surfgeek - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi
    You can chromecast for youtube, my chromebook works great for this.
    Maybe this is because chromecast works best by streaming from the internet and the Humax box oviusly has also the youtube app so they can talk to each other.
    I've not seen an option to stream anything else.

The app isn't streaming youtube to the freetime box, it's doing the streaming itself. The app merely acts as a remote control allowing you to set up play items/lists that the box plays back. You can do the same with android/ios tablets and phones. Just click the small screen icon. If you have more than one compatible device the app will list which ones you wan't to do the actual streaming. I get my Panny TV as well as my HDR1000S. Pretty sure the dlna streamer on the box cannot stream any live content. It only works with suitable digital files.

| Sun 20 Mar 2016 11:17:50 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Salvador

Maybe you're thinking of the Humax Cast app.
    It's supposed to cast from the phone to the box (apparently miracast, not chromecast).
    I installed it, but it doesn't work. It doesn't find my Humax box even though both the phone and the box are connected to the same wifi network, as specified in the app.

| Fri 10 Jul 2020 11:58:54 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Salvador - 4 mins ago  » 
    Maybe you're thinking of the Humax Cast app.
    It's supposed to cast from the phone to the box (apparently miracast, not chromecast).
    I installed it, but it doesn't work. It doesn't find my Humax box even though both the phone and the box are connected to the same wifi network, as specified in the app.

The post above dates back to 2016. I doubt the OP is still following this thread.

| Fri 10 Jul 2020 12:03:56 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.