My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Combine Humax 1100s with Blu-ray Freeview? Advice

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Evening all.

Have a great opportunity to get some new equipment but unsure how to proceed and would welcome some help please.

Adding a new Panasonic OLED to a room at home with Sonos Playbeam, sub & Play One's. The OLED's are cheap often on Panasonics factory shop & we have a house wide commitment to Sonos on the audio side. Aim is to create a nice wide TV sound than pure home theater.

The Pana TV has twin satellite feeds which I can hard wire (plaster in) directly but also would like to add a decent Blu-ray unit. I'm thinking higher end Pana again at present if I can get a decent price.

The blu-ray has to live in a cupboard close by (1 meter) but ideally I'd like Freesat with a record option (in the form of an 1100s or ideally new 3rd gen box when it appears) but unsure how to wire up?

Should I feed the new Humax into the Blu-ray unit in the cupboard which then uses HDMI ARC to TV? Is this even possible?

Or better to hard wire the Humax unit direct to the TV?

The TV has 2 HDMI (ARC) connections and 2 non ARC HDMI's

I can at this point fit new HDMI's from the cupboard to the TV and plaster them in.

The aim is to have as few cables to the TV as possible but not miss any option before plastering them in. And I'm getting a bit lost at this point.

Would very much appreciate advice on best way get recordable Freesat into the TV the most elegant way.

Many thanks

| Mon 27 Aug 2018 21:19:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Good morning, you make it sound so complicated! Very simply, you connect the Satellite feeds (i.e.2 leads for Humax 1100s) directly from dish to the humax box. You then connect this with HDMI to rear of tv. You then purchase a Blu-Ray player & connect the HDMI from this to the another HDMI on rear of tv. You can the purchase a Freeview pvr & do the same thing, or maybe purchase a Blu-Ray that has Freeview included, to save on using extra HDMI inputs. If tv doesn't have enough HDMI inputs, simply purchase a HDMI 3/4 ways & connect this to one of the rear HDMI inputs in tv. They cost from approx. £6+ online, depending on quality/features. I assume you need the devices housed in a cupboard because of children? Trying to work out why you would want to hide equipment away. Cables can be hidden behind equipment, but if you do put equipment inside cupboard, you then have problems using remotes, unless you can purchase remote senders. All costs extra money & I personally wouldn't waste the extra money, nice to have it on display. Hope I may have helped in some way. Good luck.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:27:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

jdlfreetime - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Good morning, you make it sound so complicated! Very simply, you connect the Satellite feeds (i.e.2 leads for Humax 1100s) directly from dish to the humax box. You then connect this with HDMI to rear of tv. You then purchase a Blu-Ray player & connect the HDMI from this to the another HDMI on rear of tv. You can the purchase a Freeview pvr & do the same thing, or maybe purchase a Blu-Ray that has Freeview included, to save on using extra HDMI inputs. If tv doesn't have enough HDMI inputs, simply purchase a HDMI 3/4 ways & connect this to one of the rear HDMI inputs in tv. They cost from approx. £6+ online, depending on quality/features. I assume you need the devices housed in a cupboard because of children? Trying to work out why you would want to hide equipment away. Cables can be hidden behind equipment, but if you do put equipment inside cupboard, you then have problems using remotes, unless you can purchase remote senders. All costs extra money & I personally wouldn't waste the extra money, nice to have it on display. Hope I may have helped in some way. Good luck.

Many thanks for putting some logic into my tortured thinking ... think I got in a tail spin over thinking the approach.

The cupboard approach in mainly just neatness and space ... I'm not a fan of tech clutter but is also as you rightly say grand children proof. Don't mind the IR extender and we do use these in other rooms and thinking on have a spare.

This is exactly why I love this forum ... separating the wheat and the chaff in thinking. I did so many installs in our place that I thought were well considered only to find after plastering and making good that I missed an extra RJ45 or certain cable, especially in the bad old days of RCA, component etc etc.

The TV in question is a recent generation Panasonic OLED (not yet purchased in fact) and have dual sat tuners but no recorder so it's possible I will in fact feed 4 sat connections and a coax in reality ... 2 to TV and 2 to Freesat box ... overkill for sure but I have not seen the in-set Freesat options that may in fact be very good.

Appreciate you taking the time to introduce some clarity ... the day looks brighter. Many thanks

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:45:12 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

atacama40 - 6 minutes ago  » 

jdlfreetime - 11 minutes ago  » 

Many thanks for putting some logic into my tortured thinking ... think I got in a tail spin over thinking the approach.
    The cupboard approach in mainly just neatness and space ... I'm not a fan of tech clutter but is also as you rightly say grand children proof. Don't mind the IR extender and we do use these in other rooms and thinking on have a spare.
    This is exactly why I love this forum ... separating the wheat and the chaff in thinking. I did so many installs in our place that I thought were well considered only to find after plastering and making good that I missed an extra RJ45 or certain cable, especially in the bad old days of RCA, component etc etc.
    The TV in question is a recent generation Panasonic OLED (not yet purchased in fact) and have dual sat tuners but no recorder so it's possible I will in fact feed 4 sat connections and a coax in reality ... 2 to TV and 2 to Freesat box ... overkill for sure but I have not seen the in-set Freesat options that may in fact be very good.
    Appreciate you taking the time to introduce some clarity ... the day looks brighter. Many thanks

Pretty sure a TV with that capability will record to a portable usb drive connected to the TV. This will also add live pause and rewind capability to live content.

If you post the model number, easy enough to check.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 9:53:24 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.