My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Configuring WiFi

(28 posts)
  1. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Restricting by MAC address is security level 0 or if you want to be kind level 0.1.

| Sun 10 Jul 2011 10:52:17 #21 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I did say another (meaning additional) level.

| Sun 10 Jul 2011 15:26:49 #22 |
  3. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

gomezz - 1 day ago  » 
    Of course there is absolutely no reason to have your wi-fi network not broadcast its SSID apart from giving you a false sense of security and cause unnecessary problems for you.

Well, not broadcasting the SSID; using a maximum length SSID and Password keys, and requiring the MAC address to be preloaded into the router are all suggestions the router manufacturers make to ensure maximum security. Yes, it can be a bit of a bother but seems sensible.

| Mon 11 Jul 2011 8:41:46 #23 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Sigh! As long as you have encryption turned on (preferably WPA as WEP is easily defeated) with a strong key then the rest adds absolutely nothing. Both the SSID and an allowed MAC address can be easily detected and spoofed even if you have it set not to broadcast the SSID. In fact the SSID is still present in the transmissions in the clear. Hiding it is like taking the number off your house which is not going to stop the burglar. But hiding it is like stopping the delivery man turning up with that parcel you have been eagerly waiting for all day.

| Mon 11 Jul 2011 10:43:10 #24 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A little off subject but my ISP's new ADSL router (and seperate media box) opens up WI-FI sharing to other roaming customers. By default your Wi-Fi has all the usual settings but can also be accessed by passers by who are customers with the same ISP using ISP given settings on the laptop having also haing dowloaded and installed a cetificate issued and linked to them. They need to know nothing about your Wi-Fi settings. Now here is the interesting bit - when they connect to your Wi-Fi network they cannot see or connect to other hosts - in fact they are using a routable IP trackable to them, not to you. If you choose to disable this function then your roaming access is also disabled. This model box is only issued to clients at unbundled exchanges.

Would be most interested in how this is done - my exchanged is due to be unbundled last this year, when I get the new box I will have fun trying to find out.

| Mon 11 Jul 2011 20:16:03 #25 |
  6. bob_dvb

bob_dvb

Humax

Afraid I have to agree that a hidden SSID doesn't add much and that even MAC restriction is excessive for the reasons gomezz states.

The important thing is that no one actually cares about hacking networks that have a decent password and encryption. Frankly it is highly likely that no one actually cares about hacking your data. People do like to get access to free wifi, if you were interested in gaining access to peoples data you would probably just drive around looking for open or WEP networks.

Chances are your firewall/router is less secure in itself than the wifi.

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 11:22:30 #26 |
  7. magicman

magicman

Hi, please excuse my ignorance but I am not at all technically minded.
    I have just added the wi fi dongle to my HDR Fox T2. I could not get it to connect to my password protected BT infinity service but it does connect to the BTzone open service (none password) with confirmation of 52 mps download.
    When I click on 'TV Portal' it says 'connecting' then, after a few moments, I get an error message and the HDR freezes causing me to switch off and on again before it will respond again.
    I have updated the software to the latest 01.02.20 version and even re-set the HDR to factory settings to no avail.
    Any advice please? The manual is useless on this and it's 2 weeks since I emailed Humax.

| Thu 11 Aug 2011 15:59:44 #27 |
  8. magicman

magicman

Sorted now. All I had to do was re-boot!

| Fri 12 Aug 2011 16:29:53 #28 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.